2023 Provost Review
Dear Members of the CMU Community:
As part of Carnegie Mellon University’s standard governance practices and according to the bylaws of the Faculty Organization, the provost of the university undergoes a thorough review process before the end of each five-year term. I am writing today to announce the launch of that process for Provost Garrett.
The process is led by a provost review committee, which as in past provost reviews, is comprised of members of the Board of Trustees and members of the faculty, who will interview a cross-section of students, faculty and staff. The committee will report its findings to me and following a discussion with the Board of Trustees, I will share the outcome of the review with the broader CMU community.
I’m pleased to let you know the 2023 Provost Review Committee is co-chaired by Bobby Klatzky, Charles J. Queenan, Jr. University Professor of Psychology, from the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and Erroll Davis (E '65), member of the Board of Trustees. The additional members of the Provost Review Committee include:
- Burcu Akinci, Paul Christiano Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, College of Engineering
- Peter Boatwright, Allan D. Shocker Professor of Marketing and New Product Development, Tepper School of Business
- Darryl Britt (TPR '90), Trustee
- Pedro Ferreira, Associate Professor, Heinz College of Information Systems and Public Policy
- Kristen Kurland, Teaching Professor of Architecture, Information Systems, and Public Policy, College of Fine Arts/Heinz College
- Sam Lemley, Curator of Special Collections, University Libraries
- Cindy Limauro, University Professor, Lighting Design, College of Fine Arts
- Jon Minden, Professor, Biological Sciences, Mellon College of Sciences
- Tom Mitchell, Founders University Professor of Machine Learning, School of Computer Science
- Kathryn Roeder, UPMC Professor of Statistics and Life Sciences and Computational Biology, Dietrich College/School of Computer Science
- Tricia O’Reilly, Chief of Staff (ex officio)
I would like to thank Faculty Senate Chair Laurie Weingart and Chair Emeritus Neil Donahue for their counsel in assembling the committee. I am also grateful to the committee members for their valuable service to CMU during this process.
Members of the university community can provide comments on Provost Garrett’s leadership through a secure comment form available through the Provost Review webpage. The form requires authentication with an Andrew ID and password to ensure that input is limited to CMU community members. Input may be submitted anonymously or may be signed at the discretion of the submitter. All input, including these submissions and those gained through the committee’s process, will be carefully considered in the construction of its final report. All comments will be kept confidential and will only be viewed by members of the review committee and the site administrator. No individualized responses will be quoted in the report of the committee.
I appreciate your interest in this process and thank you for participating in this important leadership review.
Henry L. Hillman President’s Chair