Don't know what to bring?
The following lists are designed to provide you with some general information regarding what to pack before you leave your home. But be sure to coordinate with your roommate(s) to eliminate duplicate items in the room.
If you are unsure about whether a certain item is permitted, please email Housing Services or call at 412-268-2139 before bringing it to campus.
Can't bring it all the way to Pittsburgh?
ORDER YOUR ESSENTIALS AND GET THEM SHIPPED FOR FREE
What's Already in the Room?
- Bed with 39" x 80" extra long mattress
- Safety rails and ladders for a bunked bed
- Desk and chair
- Closet or wardrobe (as applicable) and a dresser
- Window coverings
- High speed Internet service
- Basic cable TV service with activated cable TV jack
- Routine maintenance (students pay separately for room and public area damages.)
- Utilities, such as electricity and running water
The Essentials: Things You Will Definitely Need
- alarm clock
- clothes (and remember, it gets cold in Pittsburgh!)
- clothes hangers
- desk lamp
- laundry basket or bag
- linens and towels (sheets, pillows, washcloths, etc.)
- laundry soap
- mugs, cups, plates, utensils
- storage bins
- toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, etc.)
- driver's license or passport
The Extras: Things You May Want to Bring
- bicycle and bike lock
- power strip or surge protector
- stereo, CD player, or speakers
- microwave (must be compact and operate under 700 watts)
- refrigerator (must be smaller than 4.5 cubic feet and operate on 110/120 VAC)
Microfridge units are also available for rent through Microfridge Rentals.
Order your room essentials and extras by July 31 at bbby.com/cmu to have your items delivered directly to your room by SDC before you arrive!
Be sure to go to the special CMU site, not the regular Bed Bath & Beyond site, if you want in-room delivery. (The special delivery address at our Penn Avenue facility will auto-populate only on the special CMU site.) Orders placed after July 31 will be delivered through the regular campus package process.