Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The core value of the Department of Psychology at Carnegie Mellon University is the promotion of community through courtesy, respect, for individuals of all backgrounds. The Diversity & Inclusion Committee is tasked with advising on and implementing initiatives, within the department, that promote a collegial professional environment where all individuals can thrive free from harassment, intimidation, or disrespect.
The Diversity & Inclusion Committee in the Department of Psychology is tasked with:
- Increasing awareness and understanding of structural biases that can impact sense of belonging within our departmental community.
- Advising on specific policies and procedures to increase the diversity and integration, at all department levels, across many facets of identity.
Initiatives of the D&I Committee include:
- Organizing the first departmental forum on Diversity & Inclusion (2017).
- Codifying the department’s Statement on Community Values.
- Implementing regular community climate surveys at all levels of the department.
- Organizing social gatherings to promote cross-talk across departmental strata.
- Establishing procedures to promote underrepresented researchers at departmental brown bags and colloquia.
- Restructuring faculty hiring procedures to remove barriers to scholars from underrepresented and minoritized groups.
- Timothy Verstynen Ph.D. (Chair)
- Jessica Cantlon Ph.D. (Co-chair)
- Chante Cox-Boyd Ph.D. (Teaching Faculty Rep)
- Laurie Heller Ph.D. (Teaching Faculty Rep)
- Terri Jones Davis (Core Staff Rep)
- Catarina Vales Ph.D. (Postdoc Rep)
- Mishaela DiNino Ph.D. (Postdoc Rep)
- Đinh Ngọc Phượng (Phoebe) (Graduate Student Rep)
- Grace Dzina (Children’s School Rep)