Carnegie Mellon University


Though many students complete summer internship and research programs outside of Carnegie Mellon University, you can also receive course credit for your internship during the academic year.

Clinical Research Course (85-480)

You will attend class once per week where you will discuss mental health treatment techniques and relevant research.  The instructor will also help you to secure an internship in a treatment facility where you will get hands-on clinical experience.

Students in this course have completed their internships at a variety of facilities, including Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Mathilda Theiss Therapeutic Nursery and Preschool, and the Children’s Institute.  Depending on your placement, you may have the opportunity to observe group therapy sessions, meet with mental health practitioners, and interact with patients.

Prerequisite for this course - 85-422 Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice

Internship in Psychology

You can receive course credit for internships outside of the university that are directly relevant to your coursework. To receive credit, you must have both an on-site internship supervisor and a faculty sponsor.  

If you are interested in receiving credit for an offsite internship, submit a completed internship form to Emilie O'Leary in Baker Hall 343.