Sample Agenda and Facilitation Questions
Agenda (day-long retreat)
Morning: Discuss Curriculum Sequence & Activities
Potential questions to facilitate discussion
Curriculum sequence and progression
- Are courses sequenced appropriately to allow for student progression from introductory to mastery levels?
- Is each outcome introduced at the appropriate place in the curriculum?
- Do any gaps exist where outcomes are not addressed sufficiently?
- Are there any unnecessary overlaps?
- Does too much time elapse between introductory knowledge, advanced knowledge, or mastery?
- What are the strengths of the curriculum (i.e., where program outcomes are addressed thoroughly)?Given our observations, what steps should we take to improve the curriculum (and student learning)?
Instructional activities/student practice
- Do students receive adequate opportunity to practice using their knowledge and skills in variety of contexts?
- Do they receive enough feedback from faculty on their performance?What are the instructional strategies that faculty most use?
- Do they align with the discipline/field?
- Do they align with employer needs?
- Are there additional strategies that should be used?
- Are “high impact” or “active” instructional practices used (e.g., public reviews, service learning, research opportunities, internships, culminating or capstone experiences, skill intensive courses--writing or problem-based intensive courses)?
- What concepts or skills do students seem to have the most difficulty with in your courses?
- Given our observations, what steps should we take to improve the curriculum?
Afternoon: Develop & Implement Assessment Plan
- How should we go about assessing student learning and the effects of our changes/improvements?
- Should we prioritize what outcome(s) to assess, and engage in a regular cycle of assessment?
- Might we use assessments already embedded in our courses to measure student performance at the program level?
- How should we assure that we use the same criteria to measure the same outcomes?
- How should we test interrater reliability?
- What is our implementation plan?
- What are our action items and next steps?