Arriving on Campus
Early Arrival Information
Students who will be traveling alone and would like to have a staff member meet them at the airport must request early arrival for Friday, June 26, 2020. Please see enrollment portal for details on how to request early arrival. Please note: if students are arriving to the airport on Opening Day, there will not be a staff member nor chartered transportation to campus.
All requests for early arrival must be submitted through the Enrollment Portal before May 15 and must include flight information. If you are submitting an Early Arrival request the permitted dates of arrival are below:
- International Students: Thursday, June 25, 2020, 9am-9pm
- Early Arrival Domestic Students: Friday, June 26, 2020, 9am-9pm
If you and your parent/guardian are in need of lodging accommodations for arrival prior to these dates, please visit Carnegie Mellon's recommended accomodations site. Please be aware that most hotels in the United States will not permit an individual under the age of 18 to stay in a hotel without a parent/guardian.
Opening Day (Saturday, June 27, 2020)
Students and parents will have the opportunity to hear from the Pre-College Academic Program Directors and the Director of Pre-College Programs. Students and parents will also meet with program instructors and discuss student schedules, followed by a dinner for students, parents and program staff. Parents are encouraged, but not required, to attend Opening Day. Parents may stay until dinner on Opening Day, however, all programming after dinner is for students only. Please find a SAMPLE OPENING DAY schedule here.
Orientation Day (Sunday, June 28, 2020)
Students will have the opportunity to learn more about Carnegie Mellon University, navigating campus, and getting to know other students in the program. We highly encourage all students to take full advantage of this day. Please find a SAMPLE ORIENTATION DAY schedule here.
An email will be sent prior to the start of our program with instructions for arriving to campus. You can also download the Campus Map for your reference.
Transportation to Campus
Specific directions for arriving to campus will be provided prior to the move-in date, including details regarding residence hall locations and check-in procedures. General options for traveling to campus are:
- 28X bus (from PIT airport): The 28X Pittsburgh Port Authority bus is an easy way to travel to campus. The bus can be found at the PIT airport Door #6 on the lower level. Please be aware that the 28X bus runs between the hours of 5:30am – 12midnight. If students are arriving outside of these hours, they must arrange alternative transportation. Please see the above link for bus fare cost, and please be prepared to have exact change as the bus drivers do not give change. The final stop on the schedule, Oakland – CMU, will stop directly in front of our buildings, Morewood Gardens & E-Tower.
- Taxi/Alternate transportation: You may elect an alternate form of transportation from the airport or other arrival location. Please see this resource from the Pittsburgh International Airport for taxi or driver services: http://www.flypittsburgh.com/parking-transport/limousines,-taxis,-shuttles,-charter-buses.
- Rideshare: Uber and Lyft operate in Pittsburgh, and provides a simple way to find transportation in our city. Please download and set up an account via the app for this service prior to arrival. Students should plan to arrive at: 1060 Morewood Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 (corner of Forbes & Morewood).
- Driving: Driving directions will be provided via email to the students prior to their arrival, and will include information on location of residence halls and check-in procedures.