Carnegie Mellon Pre-College Packing List
Most students will reside in a double room with a roommate. The double rooms are furnished with twin extra long beds, chests of drawers, desks with chairs, bookshelves, closets and wastebaskets. Pillows, sheets and fans are NOT supplied.
Things to bring
- Cell phone (for international students, please plan to have a cell phone that works in the U.S.)
- Bed Linens - extra-long twin-sized sheets, blanket, pillow, pillow cases
- Linens and other essentials including fans, lamps, surge protectors, etc. may be purchased through the University Store. If you place an order prior to arrival, your order will be available for pickup in the store. Please check store hours to ensure that the store will be open when you arrive.
- Towels, washcloths
- Warm weather clothing (temperatures can get above 90 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer in Pittsburgh.)
- Bathing suit
- Dressy Casual or Semi-Formal attire (there will be two parties during the Pre-College program and students usually get a little bit dressed up for the occasion)
- *2 Fans – 1 box fan and 1 small fan
- Residence halls during the summer tend to be hot and may not be air-conditioned. Students are advised to bring a fan (or two) in the event of warm and humid weather. Please do not bring air conditioners, as they violate university policy without proper approval. (This includes standalone/non-window air conditioning units.) If student requires air conditioning due to a medical condition, please see the Learning Content entitled: Action: Special Housing Needs.
- Alarm clock
- Extension cord
- Surge protector
- Extra hangers
- Personal reading lamp/light
- Cash, credit card or ATM debit card for miscellaneous purchases
- Photo ID
- Optional: Posters and paint-safe poster putty
- Optional: Sporting supplies – tennis racket, softball glove, etc.
- Please check the program-specific information for additional items needed for classroom activities.
Things to leave at home (not permitted)
- Expensive jewelry (and other valuables)
- Large amounts of money
- Knives or any other weapons
- Toaster ovens, candles, incense, hotplates or burners, or any other open flames. These are all fire hazards and not permitted.
- Animals of any kind