Carnegie Mellon Absence From Campus Request
An Absence From Campus Request is required to be submitted online each time a student wants to leave campus in any of the following circumstances:
- For an extended period of time (over 4 hours)
- In a private vehicle (i.e., a vehicle not affiliated with the Pre-College Program)
Absence From Campus Policies:
- This form may not be used as a method to be late to curfew. Students may not enter or exit the residential buildings during curfew hours. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- If a student has a medical emergency during curfew hours, the Pre-College staff will accompany them to the appropriate medical facility and the absence request is NOT required.
- This request must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the student's planned departure
- Once the request is submitted, the residential staff will verify the absence with Parent 1 in the student contact information (by telephone) on the day prior to the absence. The request will need to be verified by phone even if the parent submitted the request.
- If a parent is not reachable, the absence will not be approved.
- If a student will be absent during class time and will be missing any class, the student must contact the academic program director and instructors in order to coordinate the absence in addition to submitting this online form.
Q: My parents are coming to visit, do I need an absence form to leave campus with them?
A: Yes. The need for advanced permission applies to anyone (including the student’s parents/guardians and other family members) who will accompany the student off campus for an extended period of time or transport the student in a private vehicle. This is our only way to keep track of whether we should be expecting to see students on campus or checking them in for curfew.
Q: My family will be here all weekend, do I need a separate request for each time I leave with them?
A: Yes. A separate request is required for each absence. Blanket permission requests are not acceptable.
Q: My sibling/Aunt/Uncle/Etc lives in Pittsburgh. Do I need an Absence Request if they are driving me somewhere (e.g. doctor's appointment, dinner)?
A: Yes. An Absence form is required for each absence including riding in a private vehicle.
Q: Someone under 21 is driving through Pittsburgh. Can they pick me up to go off campus?
A: No. The person who accompanies the student off campus or transports the student in a private vehicle must a responsible adult at least 21 years old.