Absence From Campus Request
An Absence From Campus (AFC) Request is required to be submitted online each time a student wants to leave campus in any of the following circumstances:
For an extended period of time that is over 4 hours
- In a private vehicle (i.e., a vehicle not affiliated with Pre-College Programs)
Absence From Campus Procedure:
- The AFC Request must be completed at least 48 hours in advance of a student’s planned departure.
- Once the request has been submitted, a residential staff member will contact the student’s parent/guardian by telephone to verify the proposed absence. If the student’s parent/guardian is not reachable, the absence will not be approved.
- Upon verification of the absence, the student will be notified by a residential staff member that the absence request has been approved.
Absence From Campus Policies:
- In the event of an emergency or for any AFC Request submitted less than 48 hours in advance, verification and approval by the Assistant Director for Pre-College Student Affairs will be required.
- This request may not be used as a method to be late for curfew. Students may not enter or exit the residential buildings during curfew hours. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- The supervising adult listed on the AFC Request must be someone who is at least 21 years or older and has been authorized by the student's parent/guardian.
- If a student's parent/guardian does not answer the verification call from our residential staff or does not approve the absence, the request will be denied.
- If a student has a medical emergency during curfew hours, the Pre-College staff will accompany them to the appropriate medical facility and an AFC Request is not required.
- If a student misses a class, it will be their responsibility to contact their academic director and instructors to coordinate making up any work that will be missed.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I submit an AFC Request?
Can I tell my RA/CA or teacher that I will be absent, but not submit an AFC Request?
No. All students are required to submit an AFC Request to ensure their safety and that all proper parties know that they will not be on campus. Any student that leaves campus without submitting an AFC Request and/or without having an AFC Request approved will be subject to disciplinary action.
Students are responsible for contacting their teachers and making up any missed work.