Life does not stop when you enter graduate school, and graduate education at Carnegie Mellon recognizes that many graduate students are, or will become, parents while at Carnegie Mellon. There are several on-campus resources available to graduate students with children.
Information for Parents and Kids
Human Resources also maintains a list of Family and Childcare Resources that includes links to Family Activities, Parenting resources, and Educational and Athletic Programs and Camps.
Join the Student Parent Assocation
The Student Parent Association is a google group aimed at collecting information for CMU graduate students. To join, please log into your google account and search for "Student Parent Association".
Use the Lactation Rooms
To self-identify as needing access to a lactation space, and to gain card swipe access to locked rooms, fill out the Lactation Room Request for Access Form
Locate Changing Tables Around Campus
The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) has provided changing tables in select washrooms around campus.
- CIT: Two are located outside of CEE in Baker Hall (one in the women's room and one in the men's room). Additionally, a changing table is located in the unisex bathroom in Scaife Hall.
- Heinz: The second floor restrooms in Hamburg Hall have a changing table in both the men's and women's room.
- Mellon: There are two changing tables in Doherty (one in the men's room and one in the women's), as well as one in the unisex bathroom (4th floor of Mellon).
- SCS: All handicapped stalls in both men's and women's restrooms in Wean have changing tables. Additionally, there are tables in both the men's and women's rooms on the main floor of Newell Simon (by the atrium).
- Tepper: Tepper has changing tables in all restrooms.
Maternity Accommodation Protocol
Schools for Children
Pittsburgh Schools for children from pre-Kindergarten through High School There are numerous school options for parents with children throughout the Pittsburgh region. These range from public schools which are free to private schools which charge tuition. For more information please visit here.
There is also an option to have the Pittsburgh Public Schools information translated into different languages and this option can be accessed here.