Life does not stop when you enter graduate school, and graduate education at Carnegie Mellon recognizes that many graduate students are, or will become, parents while at Carnegie Mellon. There are several on-campus resources available to graduate students with children.
Information for Parents and Kids
Human Resources also maintains a list of Family and Childcare Resources that includes links to Family Activities, Parenting resources, and Educational and Athletic Programs and Camps.
Join the GSA Partner and Family Group
Use the Lactation Rooms
To self-identify as needing access to a lactation space, and to gain card swipe access to locked rooms, fill out the Lactation Room Request for Access Form
Locate Changing Tables Around Campus
The Graduate Student Assembly (GSA) has provided changing tables in select washrooms around campus.
- Baker Hall: Two are located outside of CEE (one in the women's room and one in the men's room)
- Doherty Hall: There are two changing tables (one in the men's room and one in the women's)
- Hamburg Hall: The second floor restrooms have a changing table in both the men's and women's rooms
- Mellon Institute: one in the unisex bathroom on 4th floor
- Newell Simon Hall: tables in both the men's and women's rooms on the main floor by the atrium)
- Posner Hall: changing tables in all restrooms
- Scaife Hall: table is located in the unisex bathroom
- Tepper Quad: all unisex bathrooms
- Wean Hall: All handicapped stalls in both men's and women's restrooms in Wean have changing tables.
Maternity Accommodation Protocol
Schools for Children
Pittsburgh Schools for children from pre-Kindergarten through High School There are numerous school options for parents with children throughout the Pittsburgh region. These range from public schools which are free to private schools which charge tuition. For more information please visit here.
There is also an option to have the Pittsburgh Public Schools information translated into different languages and this option can be accessed here.