Carnegie Mellon University

Academic Resources

Course Related

A good place to start is looking up the course in the Syllabus Registry. This can be accessed either through SIO or Canvas (HERE). Additionally you could try to ask an upperclassman or the course professor for their opinion on the course. Be sure to keep an eye on Drop/Add/Withdraw deadlines each semester if you want to enroll and try out a course though.
You can look at what previous students taking the class reported their workload to be through the Faculty Course Evaluation. You can either search through the database or install the Chrome Plug-In to see it directly in SIO.
Most graduate classes do not have prerequisite courses, however you can check on SIO just in case. The Syllabus Registry on Canvas can help you figure out if there are skills you may need before the class begins. Access it HERE.
CMU does not offer campus-wide course-specific tutoring for Graduate Students. However Academic Coaching for grad students is offered through the Academic Development office. They teach workshops and hold one-on-one sessions to teach time management and study skills which may help in your courses in general. Get information HERE. If you need help on specific course content, be sure to talk to your TA or Professor. You can gain more general skills regarding writing and presenting though the ICC or GCC (see HERE and HERE). 
The Academic Development Office offers Academic Coaching to grad students where they teach time management and study skills in workshops or one-on-one sessions. Get more info HERE.
To learn more general skills about writing and presenting, consider attending a seminar/workshop hosted by the GCC. If you have a specific paper/project that you hope to get feedback on, you can sign up for a one-on-one consultation (get more info and sign up HERE). For nonnative English speakers, the ICC is also a great resource to gain more fluency in English in your writing and presentations. Find more information and register for their programs HERE.

Yes. Grad students are eligible to sign up for Physical Education classes, and many sign up each semester. Since you are getting a grade, it is a great way to keep youself accountable for getting a work out. Check out all the courses offered in SIO as "69XXX".


The full academic calendar can be found through the HUB. See HERE under "Important Dates" to access the correct academic year's calendar PDF.
If you have a short- or long-term condition, you can contact Disability Services for assistance. Adjustments may include arranging for recording devices, sign language interpreters, extended time for testing, or voice recognition or other adaptive software or hardware. For more information and to find the necessary forms, see HERE.
More information on the academic dishonesty policy can be found HERE. A summary of the Disciplinary Action process can be found HERE. If you still have questions, you can contact your College Liaison (listed as your "Student Affairs Contact" in SIO) for more help.
A list of the most relevant university level policies can be found HERE. College and department specific policies should be printed in the graduate student handbook or on the website for your program. Contact your Departmental Coordinator or College Liaison (listed as "Student Affairs Contact" on SIO) for more information and guidance in regards to policies.
A list of policies and terms can be found HERE with definitions. Contact your Departmental Coordinator or College Liaison (listed as "Student Affairs Contact" on SIO) for more information and guidance in regards to policies.

Research Related

The Library system at CMU provides many means of support. You can search academic journals and books through their website. For journals CMU does not subscribe to or books that are not owned by CMU, you can consider using the Interlibrary Loan System. If you are off-campus, be sure to log into the library website or remote access the campus network to maintain access to online journals that CMU is subscribed to. To find info on using the CMU Libraries, see HERE. Also be sure to check out the "Research Support" Tab on their website.
The GCC is a great place to start. They provide seminars and one-on-one consultations. Get more info HERE. Additionally they host a Dissertation Boot Camp a couple of times a year to support students' writing. If you hope to get support from your peers as you write, consider a Dissertation Writing Group funded by GSA (info HERE). Small grants are provided for food/coffee as you work together.
The Eberly Center is the resource you need. They host seminars throughout the year to help you learn skills to be a better TA/instructor. If you are thinking about teaching long term, consider enrolling in their Future Faculty Program. Find information on how they work with grad students HERE.
The Office of Tartan Ink provides a wide range of printing services on campus. Everything from booklets and pamphlets to posters and business cards. Get more information about the process HERE
Your college/department Ombudsperson is a great place to start. They are not a formal advocate or mediator, but can maintain confidentiality when requested. The ombudsman will provide guidance on the college/department policies and procedures and can help you figure out the next steps to solving the issue. Find their contact information in your Department Handbook or through your Department Coordinator. Additionally, your College Liaison can provide guidance on college specific policies. Find their contact information on your SIO listed as your "Student Affairs Contact".