Carnegie Mellon University

Finance Resources

Academic Related Finances

Information about financial aid for graduate students can be found HERE. Also, be sure to check with your department/college because there may be more specific fellowships/grants that you may be eligible for.
CMU Student Financial Services offers various tools for Financial Literacy including resources regarding student loan management. Find tools and services HERE.
General information about student invoices can be found HERE. More graduate student specific information (for department supported students) can be found HERE.
You should contact the person who issued the payment so they can look into it. For stipends, this will be Business Manager in your department. For reimbursements, it should be with whoever you filed the forms through. (For example, travel reimbursements would be through your Department Business Manager.)
CMU offers small research grants to graduate students (Graduate Small project Help GuSH Research Grants). These $750 grants are open for all graduate students, regardess of field to apply. There are four application periods per year. Get more information HERE. Additionally, talk to the staff in your department/college because there may be more specific small grants that you can apply for.
Conference funds can be applied for HERE. Awards are $500 per individual or up to $1000 per group. There are four application period per year.

Personal Finances

There are many banks with branches in Pittsburgh, but CMU partners with PNC Bank. You can create an account and link it to your CMU ID Card. Get more info on the program HERE under "PNC Bank" or HERE on the PNC website.
CMU offers Graduate Student Transition (GST) Loan (up to 75% of your monthly gross salary/stipend) for first-semester graduate students to assist with moving/transitional expenses. Contact your department for a Transition Loan form. More info HERE.
Student Financial Services offers resources to help you improve your financial literacy. There are worksheets and strategies along with two programs, CMU MoneySense and SALT, which can help. See all this and more, HERE.
Yes. When you enroll in the summer (June to September), you have the option to pay the premium over the course of the academic year in nine installments. Note that you need to sign up before the end of September and that there is a fee for the payment plan. For more information and to sign up, see HERE.
CMU offers interest free Emergency Student Loans through the Office of the Dean of Students. For more information and to apply, see HERE.
A a student employee (this includes research assistantships for PhDs) your benefits include a retirement savings plan. More info on the program and how to register can be found HERE through the Human Resources Office.
CMU does not offer centralized assistance in paying taxes due to the differing residencies and types of funding given. Be sure to check out the various companies in Pittsburgh and online that provide tax support far before the April 15 deadline (for the US). If CMU not offering tax support is something you feel needs to change, share your story (HERE) with GSA of how not having support affected you so GSA can better advcate for issues that affect CMU grad students.
PNC Bank is the bank partnered with CMU and they have ATMs outside their branch office in the Lower Level of the Cohon University Center. An additional two PNC ATMs and one Citizens Bank ATM are on the first floor of the CUC. Check and/or cash deposits can be made at these ATMs. ATMs are also offered at less central locations on campus, often near dining locations, so check around your building.