What are the required immunizations for incoming students*?
- Measles, mumps and rubella (MMR)
- Hepatitis B
- Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap)
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Tuberculosis screening questionnaire
Additional requirements for students living in university housing:
- Meningococcal (ACWY)- If you received this vaccine before age 16, you must get a booster shot (an additional dose).
What additional immunizations are recommended?
Recommended for all students:
- Hepatitis A - Especially for those travelling internationally
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV2 or HPV4)
Recommended for members of high risk groups; consult with your medical provider regarding need:
- Meningococcal B
What are the other health requirements for incoming students?
All incoming students must also:
- Comply with the university's health insurance mandate
- New undergraduate students must complete AlcoholEdu for College + Haven, two online prevention courses
Before receiving care at UHS, all students should:
- Complete an online health history form, as well as:
- Read and acknowledge our online notice of privacy practices
- Read and acknowledge our online treatment agreement
How do I access the online forms?
When you have your andrew ID, you can access all of our online forms in HealthConnect (select Forms).
Please note: in order to access HealthConnect, your birthdate in the Student Information System (SIO) must be correct. If you are unable to access HealthConnect, check your birthdate in SIO. If it is incorrect, correct it at the HUB. The following day, it should be updated in HealthConnect. If you still have problems, contact us for help.
Can I complete the immunization form and TB screening questionnaire in multiple sittings?
No, the online immunization form and TB screening questionnaire do not allow you to save partial information and return later to complete them. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you:
1. Print a blank copy of our online forms.
2. Gather all of your immunization records.
3. Complete the forms on paper.
4. Review your information with your family, if needed.
5. Enter the information into the online immunization form and TB screening questionnaire.
Do I need a physical exam or a doctor's signature?
I have a copy of my immunization record - can I send it to you instead of completing the online form?
What if I do not have all of the required immunizations by the due date?
Submit your immunization form prior to the due date with your current information. We will review the information and contact you via your andrew email account to notify you if you are missing any requirements.
If I have no opportunity to get a required vaccine before coming to campus, what are my options?
All required vaccines and testing are to be completed prior to arrival on campus, per the immunization policy. If a requirement is not available at your location, you can receive it upon arrival through our office. For students on the CMU student health insurance plan, there is no out-of-pocket cost for vaccines. For students on other insurance plans, vaccine costs* are:Hepatitis A vaccine = $79.00
Hepatitis B vaccine = $49.00
HPV vaccine (HPV4) = $172.00
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccine = $66.00
Meningococcal (Menveo) vaccine = $105.00
Tetanus, diphtheria & pertussis (Tdap) = $53.00
Varicella vaccine = $108.00
T-spot (IGRA) blood test = $53.00
Tuberculin skin test = $15.00
For select populations, we recommend, but do not currently offer: meningococcal B, polio, and pneumococcal vaccines. If you cannot get these vaccines before arriving on campus, you can get them at the Allegheny County Health Department.
*All prices subject to change, per supplier/manufacturer fees.
Can I request a waiver from any immunization requirements?
Yes, if vaccination conflicts with your religious/personal beliefs, or is not advised for medical reasons. To request a waiver, send us a signed letter (not an email) that indicates why the vaccination conflicts with your religious/personal beliefs. If you have a medical reason for not receiving a vaccination, the letter must be written and signed by your healthcare provider. Letters must be received by the immunization form due date for your incoming semester. If a contagious disease outbreak occurs, the university reserves the right to ask students who have not been vaccinated against that disease to leave campus until the outbreak is over.