Carnegie Mellon University

Health Insurance Requirements

Both international students and scholars are required to have adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay at Carnegie Mellon. Additionally, all J visa holders (J-1 students, scholars, and their J-2 dependents) are required by U.S. federal law to have health insurance that meets the minimum standards set by the government. Health insurance is a necessity for everyone living in the U.S. because of the high cost of routine and emergency health care, as well as prescription medication. 

It is important to note that international students and scholars are not eligible for public benefits available to U.S. citizens with low incomes. Accepting any such public benefits can cause you to lose your legal status in the U.S. and create a bar to your re-entry to the U.S.