Carnegie Mellon University

Employment Opportunities for J-1 Students

As a J-1 student, you have several work authorization options that will enhance your academic experience while at Carnegie Mellon. Each opportunity is unique and offers different benefits to you as a student and has different eligibility requirements. Below you can learn more about your options and how to apply.


On-campus work is done for Carnegie Mellon and you are paid by the university. This type of employment can include a number of different positions across campus. As a J-1 student, you will need to apply for work authorization for on-campus work.


Academic Training Employment

As a J-1 student, you may be eligible to participate in Academic Training (AT), which is off-campus work authorization for jobs related to your field. AT is flexible and offers employment to supplement your academic program in the United States.


Students volunteering at 2018 Rise Against Hunger eventVolunteering 

Volunteer opportunities exist separate from employment and are open to Carnegie Mellon students. Volunteers donate their time or services, usually part-time, for the public good. Usually, volunteer positions focus on religious, civic or humanitarian objectives for religious, charitable or similar non-profit organizations.