Carnegie Mellon University

Changing Your Non-Immigrant Status (I-539)

Do you want to extend or change your visa status? You can apply for a change by completing the I-539 form online. You cannot use the I-539 form to extend your F or J visa status. If you're an F-1 or J-1 student, you can learn how to extend your end date. These extension requests are processed by OIE.

You Manage Your Application

Before you apply, be sure to carefully review all information on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) I-539 webpage.

OIE cannot legally answer questions about filing fees, filing out the form, or visa status issues. If you have questions or issues with your I-539, please contact an immigration attorney. You can find more legal resources and immigration attorneys (pdf).

Changing Visa Status

Individuals who are currently in the U.S. in a visa status other than F-1 or J-1 may want or need to change to an F-1 or J-1 student status to study at Carnegie Mellon. If you will travel internationally prior to coming to Carnegie Mellon, you can change your status by applying for an F-1 or J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad and re-entering the U.S. in the new status. Refer to the OIE handout Change of Status (pdf) for more details.

Those who do not plan to travel may apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for a change of status. Instructions will be provided with your I-20 or DS-2019 form. Please be sure to indicate your current status on the New Student Initial Document Request in MyOIE so that OIE can provide you with the appropriate instructions and advice.

Those who are considering a change of status are strongly encouraged to discuss their situation with an OIE Advisor. You may schedule an appointment using our online appointment scheduling system