Program Extension for I-20/DS-2019 for F and J Students
If you are unable to complete your program of study by the program end date listed on your most recent I-20/DS-2019 immigration document ("Program of Study Box" on I-20/Box #3 on DS-2019), you must request and receive a new document from the Office of International Education (OIE) before the expiration of your current document. Failure to comply with deadlines may result in the loss of legal F or J student status. Contact OIE with questions.
Conditions and Limitations
You may apply for an extension of your program if all of the following apply:
- The end date on your I-20/DS-2019 has not passed.
- You are currently in lawful F or J status.
- The delay in completing program requirements has been caused by compelling academic reasons or previously/currently authorized medical Reduced Course Load.
- Note: You must apply for an extension at least 30 days before the end date listed on your I-20/DS-2019, but no more than 60 days before the end date listed on your I-20/DS-2019.
If you do not meet the requirements for an extension listed above, you may need to apply for reinstatement to lawful F or J status. In this case, immediate consultation is necessary, and you must schedule an appointment with your OIE advisor.
- Be Informed. Read this webpage thoroughly and carefully.
- Receive your Advisor’s Recommendation. Have your academic advisor complete the “Academic Advisor’s Recommendation for Extension of Program of Study" form.
- Obtain Proof of Financial Support. Submit proof of financial support to cover the additional time you will need to complete your program. You must include financial support for tuition, living expenses, and for any dependents (see current estimated expenses).
- For department funding, your academic advisor/program coordinator must provide that information.
- If you are funded by another source other than yourself, you must submit OIE’s Affidavit of Support Form (see undergraduate form or graduate form) from your sponsor with original supporting financial documents, such as original bank letters showing that the funds are available. They must have been issued within the past 6 months.
- Process the Extension with OIE.
- Submit a completed request with all supporting documents to OIE (email@example.com). If approved, OIE will generate a new I-20/DS-2019 with a travel signature for you and your dependents in five to 10 business days. You must keep this and all previous copies of your I20s/DS-2019s.