Carnegie Mellon University

Change of Program or Degree

If you change your educational level or start a new program, you will need a new I-20 or DS-2019. Students changing from one college to another may be required to complete an updated Affidavit of Support. Students who will change their program must submit a Change of Program Request Form (pdf) and other required documents to the Office of International Education (OIE) at least 30 days before their current I-20/DS-2019 expires or the date their change of program goes into effect, whichever comes first.

This form is for:

  • Students who will change their educational level at CMU (i.e., Bachelor to Master or Master to Ph.D.)
  • Students who will enter the Master’s portion of an integrated Master’s program or 5th Year Master’s Program
  • Graduate students who will start a new program at the same educational level (i.e., a student who has completed one graduate program and will start in a new one or who is transferring from one graduate program to another)

Students should note that new I-20s/DS-2019s take 10 business days to process from the time all required materials are submitted. If you are currently on OPT/STEM OPT from CMU, your work authorization will automatically end on the start date listed on your new I-20.

  1. Be Informed. Read this page thoroughly and carefully.
  2. Receive your new academic department’s recommendation. Have your academic advisor (from your new program) complete page 2 of the Change of Program Request Form (pdf).
  3. Obtain Proof of Financial Support. Submit proof of financial support to cover the new degree program/remainder of the time you will need to complete your new program. Note: If your change of program results in an earlier program end date than your current I-20/DS-2019 end date, you do not need to submit financial documents.
    1. You must include financial support for tuition, living expenses, and any dependents (see current expenses on the Change of Program request form).
    2. For individuals receiving department funding, you may use your admission letter and page 2 of the Change of Program request form, which describe the amount and duration of the support.
    3. If you are funded by a source other than yourself, you may need to submit OIE’s Affidavit of Support Form (see undergraduate form or graduate form) from your sponsor with original supporting financial documents, such as original bank letters showing that the funds are available. Submitted documents must have been issued within the past six months.