Carnegie Mellon University

How to Replace an EAD

U.S. employers use your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to make sure their employees and potential employees are authorized to work in the U.S. An EAD is one form of documentation that you are authorized to work in the U.S. for a specific period of time. If you need to replace your EAD card for any reason, you will need to submit the following documents to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):

  • A statement to USCIS explaining how your EAD card was lost, stolen, or never received. Attach any supporting evidence you have. For a stolen EAD, you should attach a police report. Your statement should include your USCIS receipt number.
  • I-765 Filing Fee. Fee information can be found on the USCIS website. You can pay by:
    • A U.S. Check or Money Order – payable to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.”
    • A credit card – to pay by credit card you must fill out the G-1450 Form and attach it to your application.
    • You cannot pay this fee with cash.
  • Two passport photos. Follow the Department of State's instructions for passport photos.
  • Form I-765, typed out and signed in blue ink. You may handwrite any parts that will not fit when typing. Check the box beside "Replacement (of lost employment authorization document)." You may also try applying online for a replacement; some students have done this, but we are unsure of the success rate. Please only file one replacement application, paper or online.
  • Photocopies of all your previous I-20s, including those issued by OIE and any other schools you have attended.
  • Photocopy of your EAD, if you have one.
  • Photocopy of your I-94. You can print out your electronic I-94 or include a copy of the front and back of your I-94 card if you still have a paper card.
  • Photocopy of your passport ID page.
  • Photocopy of your most recent F-1 visa.
  • Photocopy of initial EAD receipt notice and/or EAD approval notice.

The processing time for an EAD replacement is the same as for all I-765 applications: between three and five months. Contact OIE if you receive a Request for Evidence from USCIS or if you have any further questions.