Carnegie Mellon University

Employment as a Foreign Student or Scholar 

The Office of International Education (OIE) knows that gaining work experience is an important part of your time at Carnegie Mellon. We're happy to help you through all the stages of the employment process.

Below, foreign students and scholars will find information, tips and advice on employment on campus, off-campus, Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), H-1B status, and resources for everyone like applying for a Social Security Number (SSN). 

Our team of friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help every step of the way!

Foreign Students

There are many ways for students to be employed during their time at CMU, such as Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, Academic Training and on-campus employment. These employment opportunities can help shape students' deep disciplinary knowledge and prepare them to have a transformative impact on society. Learn more about the resources available to you as a student.

Foreign Scholars

Scholars are an essential part of our Carnegie Mellon community. Whether you are a J-1 Scholar, H-1B Worker or a member of another work category, your efforts to innovate and transform the world are important. Learn more about the resources available to you as a foreign scholar.