Carnegie Mellon University

Maintaining Legal Status for Students

As a foreign student studying in the U.S., you are responsible for maintaining your immigration status while at Carnegie Mellon. Below you can learn more about the rules and regulations you must comply with to maintain your legal status while pursuing your education at CMU.

documents.jpgDocuments and Immigration Rules

Here you will find a breakdown of all the immigration documents needed during your time in the U.S. In this section, you will find information about maintaining your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019), regulations on maintaining a valid passport in your home country, and basic rules to maintain legal student status.


students-studying.jpgCourse Load and Course Modality Requirements

The U.S. government has certain requirements regarding foreign students' credit hours and course modality. In this section, you can find out about your requirements as a foreign student and how to comply with these regulations when registering for classes. You can also find out about extending your I-20 or DS-2019 documents to complete your degree requirements.


Three students at a table in the libraryProgram or Degree Change

There are times when you may want to change your program or degree level. In this section, you will find information about steps to follow when changing your program of study to ensure you continue to maintain your legal immigration status as a student.