Mandatory Immigration Check-In and Welcome Session
International students with a spring 2023 program start date on their I-20/DS-2019 who are physically present in the U.S. are required to complete a mandatory orientation and immigration check-in with the Office of International Education (OIE). This includes:
- New spring 2023 admits who are physically present in the U.S. for the spring semester
- Return from leave students who are physically present in the U.S. for the spring semester
Spring 2023 students must complete the OIE online e-form before attending the Mandatory Immigration Check-in & Welcome Session on January 13, 2023. Failure to complete the OIE immigration check-in will result in a loss in your F-1/J-1 status and benefits. If your plans have changed or you are unable to join us in the U.S. for the spring 2023 semester, please let us and your admitting department know of your new plans if you have not done so already.
Mandatory Immigration Check-in & Welcome Session
Mandatory Immigration Check-in and Welcome Session
All new international students who will be joining us in Pittsburgh are required to attend an in-person Mandatory Immigration Check-in and Welcome Session with OIE Director Linda Gentile and the OIE staff. This session will include an introduction to the OIE office and services, answers to frequently asked questions AND complete your required immigration check-in.
The Mandatory Immigration Check-in and Welcome Session will take place on Friday, January 13, 2023 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EST in McConomy Auditorium located in the Cohen University Center. Please watch for an email with more information!
Mandatory International Student Orientation and Check-In
Orientation & Immigration Check-In: Begins late-December
students who will be physically present in the U.S.
The orientation and check-in is mandatory for non-immigrant international students on Carnegie Mellon’s visa documents (F-1 or J-1 status) and who are physically present in the U.S.
HOW TO COMPLETE THE MANDATORY CHECK-IN REQUIREMENT WITH OIE:
Students are encouraged to complete these requirements as soon as possible after their arrival to the U.S:
- Complete the Canvas Course and Pass the Quiz
- The canvas course will become available in late-December.
- Students will receive an email and be required to accept the Canvas course invitation.
- This step can be completed overseas.
- Submit the "Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students" e-Form in the MyOIE Portal
- The e-Form titled "Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students" will become available to submit in late-December.
- This step can ONLY be completed after the student has arrived to the U.S.
- Attend the Mandatory Immigration Check-in and Welcome Session on Friday, January 13, 2023 at 9:00 AM in McConomy Auditorium.
Once all components of the orientation course have been successfully completed and the e-Form has been submitted, the student's SEVIS record will be activated by OIE. Students are encouraged to submit the e-Form as soon as possible after arrival in the U.S. and no later than Friday, January 13, 2023.
Transfer students in the U.S. for the spring semester must complete the International Student Orientation and Check-In session (see above).
Return from Leave of Absence (RLOA) Orientation
Students who are returning to CMU after a brief period of absence from their CMU program, must complete the International Student Orientation and Check-In (see above).
OIE will contact all RLOA International Students by emailing their Andrew email accounts the mandatory orientation session and check-in.
RLOA students must also complete the Mandatory Immigration Check-In for New/Return from Leave Students E-Form in their MyOIE Portal.
Visiting J-1 Scholar Orientation
The OIE Scholar Orientation is held in-person on most Thursdays in Cyert Hall and will always start at exactly 1 p.m. (EST).
At orientation, OIE will review the required immigration information (pdf), as well as campus and local resources. Please email email@example.com to register to attend an orientation session. After you have registered, OIE will email you prior to the orientation session with meeting details.
All J-1 visitors are required to attend the in-person OIE Scholar Orientation session. The following documents must be emailed to OIE prior to the session.
- Completed International Scholar Data Form (pdf)
- Photocopy of your DS-2019
- Photocopy of your passport (identification page only)
- Photocopy of J-1 visa in passport
- Photocopy of passport page with port of entry stamp if available
- I-94 record (Note: This document can only be printed after entry to the US)
- Signed J-1 Scholar Insurance Agreement (pdf)