Carnegie Mellon University

Travel Within the U.S.

When traveling domestically in the U.S. and away from your primary CMU campus, you should always carry your original immigration documents, including your valid passport and visa documents (Form I-20 or DS-2019) for identification purposes. 

Although highly unlikely, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers may stop individuals and ask for identification at their discretion. When traveling within the U.S. by air, it is important to always carry the same immigration documents and follow the guidelines set by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). It is important to check the TSA's website before traveling each time since guidelines and regulations tend to change frequently.

For day-to-day life at your CMU campus and the surrounding city, you do not need to carry your original documents with you. OIE recommends carrying photocopies, or pictures on your phone, of your passport, visa sticker, and visa documents (Form I-20 or DS-2019), in case you need information from them. You may also wish to consider applying for a State ID or Driver's License (pdf) for local outings.