The Civil and Environmental Engineering department has established research strengths in a number of areas to address the challenges of the 21st century, including:
- sustainable, intelligent infrastructure systems,
- water and air quality science and engineering,
- resilient engineering materials, and
- environmentally sustainable, or green, engineering practices.
We maintain a commitment to excellence in education, research, and professional service while advancing the engineering science fundamentals of the civil and environmental engineering disciplines.
Research at CEE
Application and exploration of emerging Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), infrastructure systems and associated processes, such as planning, design, construction, facility/infrastructure management, and environmental monitoring.
Interdisciplinary inquiry that spans engineering, science, social sciences, and policy which aims to provide skills, analysis tools, and technologies to meet environmental stewardship and sustainability challenges of the 21st Century.
Research that focuses on the scientific understanding and practical application of the emergent complex behavior of materials.
US News and World Report Program Rankings
We are proud of how our civil engineering and environmental engineering programs rank as a top engineering program by US News and World Report.
- 8th for Environmental Engineering Graduate Program
- 10th for Civil Engineering Graduate Program
- 8th for Environmental Engineering Undergraduate Program
- 12th for Civil Engineering Undergraduate Program