Carnegie Mellon University

Transfer Admissions

External Transfer

Students from other colleges and universities who are interested in transferring to the Civil and Environmental Engineering undergraduate program must apply through CMU’s Office of Undergraduate Admission. Applicants will only be considered for one Carnegie Mellon college.

External transfers who are interested in Civil and Environmental Engineering should apply to the College of Engineering.

CMU Transfer Admission Process

Internal Transfers

First year CMU students can apply to transfer to Civil & Environmental Engineering after spring mid-semester grades are released. 

Upperclassmen can apply at any time during the year, and simply have to fill out the application, attach their unofficial transcript, and then submit it to the College of Engineering Dean’s Office in Scaife Hall. Both first year students and upperclassmen fill out the same application, which can be used when transferring from another College of Engineering department or from another college within Carnegie Mellon.

Before submitting the application, students should contact their current advisor or Andrea Francioni Rooney in the CEE department to review how the transfer will affect their coursework and graduation timeline.

College of Engineering Internal Transfer Form (pdf)