Carnegie Mellon University

Master’s Program Requirements

MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering (96 Units)

Total Number of Units to Graduate  96 - It is university policy to deem a student as graduated at the end of the semester in which the student has fulfilled a minimum of 96 units acceptable for the MS degree.
Units Per Course

Full Semster: 12 units per course
Mini Course: 6 Units per course (half the length of the semester)

Each unit generally requires one hour of work per week. Students are able to mix and match semester length and mini-courses to complete the 96-unit requirement.

Unit Requirements

36 to 48 units per semester are required.

Part-time and non-degree enrollment options are available to non-traditional students.

Program Requirements

The 96 units counted towards the MS degree course option must satisfy the following requirements:

A minimum of 78 units (including both course and independent study units) must be at the graduate level (600 level and above), with at least 48 units at the 700 level.

A minimum of 60 units must be from CEE, though up to 12 units of technical graduate courses from other departments can be counted towards this requirement if consistent with the student's program of study and with the approval of the academic advisor before taking the course.

Up to 18 units of upper level undergraduate courses (defined as courses 300 level and above) may be counted towards the 96 unit requirement with the academic advisor's approval. Courses numbered XX-299 and lower do not qualify as MS degree electives.

A minimum of two semesters of Graduate Seminar (12-794) are required for the MS degree.

No more than 12 units of independent study will be counted towards an MS degree.

Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA to receive their degree.

Masters students will be limited to taking one (1) course in the School of Computer Science during their masters degree program, regardless of whether it counts toward the degree requirements. Exceptions to this “one course” rule can be granted by petition to the department head with the approval of the faculty advisor, if deemed necessary to the student’s masters curriculum.

Degree Title

The standard title of the MS degree awarded to candidates in Civil and Environmental Engineering is the MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering. You may petition the department head for an alternative degree title. Please contact your program advisor for information.

MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Applied Study (102 units)

In addition to all coursework requirements described above in the standard MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering program, Applied Study MS students have a required internship component, allowing them to apply their education in industrial, government, or research settings and gain professional experience.


Semester    Summer Term  
Additional Course Requirement    

12‐994 Internship in Civil and Environmental Engineering (3 Units)
39‐699 Career and Professional Development for Engineering Masters Students (3 Units)

It is university policy to deem a student as graduated at the end of the semester in which they have fulfilled a minimum of 102 units acceptable for the MS degree, including the 3 units of required internship.

Students Without a BS in Engineering

Students with an undergraduate degree outside engineering will need to complete five basic undergraduate engineering courses. These requirements are in addition to the MS degree course requirements.

Transfer Credits

A maximum of 24 units of transfer credit (one credit transfers to 3 units) may be included for coursework undertaken elsewhere, provided these credits were not used for other degree requirements. Transfer credits must have received a grade of "B" or higher and must be approved by both the academic advisor and the Department Head. 

Students currently in the program wishing to transfer credits must complete the Graduate Transfer Request Form prior to taking the course when applicable.