Graduate Student Conference Funding is provided by the Graduate Student Assembly and the Provost's Office, and is managed by the Office of the Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Education. The goal of the funding is to enable more Carnegie Mellon graduate students to make presentations at key conferences/ exhibitions in their fields or attend conferences and learn about the broader field of study to which they belong. This funding opportunity is available to individual graduate students, a group of graduate students attending the same conference and/or a group of members from a registered club/organization attending the same conference. If you have submitted an abstract to present at a conference, you do not have to wait until it is accepted to apply.
Graduate Student Conference Funding Application Submission Weeks (2017-2018):
**Graduate students who apply for Conference Funding must be enrolled students at the time they attend the conference.**
- For conferences that fall between 4/1/17 - 6/30/17: SUBMIT between 2/7/17 - 2/22/17 (CLOSED)
- For conferences that fall between 7/1/17 - 9/30/17: SUBMIT between 5/9/17 - 5/24/17 (CLOSED)
- For conferences that fall between 10/1/17 - 12/31/17: SUBMIT between 8/14/17 - 9/1/17 (CLOSED)
- For conferences that fall between 1/1/18 - 3/31/18: SUBMIT between 11/8/17 - 11/21/17
- For conferences that fall between 4/1/18 - 6/30/18: SUBMIT between 2/6/18 - 2/21/18
- For conferences that fall between 7/1/18 - 9/30/18: SUBMIT between 5/7/18 - 5/21/18
- For conferences that fall between 10/1/18 - 12/31/18: SUBMIT between 8/13/18 - 9/3/18
Conference Funding Details
This award amount is $500 per student with a maximum amount of $1,000 per group. Awardees are selected through a lottery process on a quarterly basis. This is considered a partial source of support and applicants are required to seek funds from the following other sources first, before applying for these funds, including:
- Funds from the conferences they will be attending
- Their own advisor
- Their department
- Their college
A letter from the applicant's advisor is required indicating whether there are department - and college - level options for alternative funding. Graduate students may not receive more than one Conference Funding award per academic year, July to June.
Both forms must be received by the deadline or the application will not be considered.
All students will be notified of their status in the lottery within one week of the closing of applications.
If a student receives an award, they will receive a letter detailing the process to access the funding. The award funds will be transferred to an account in the student's department and the student can then access the funds following departmental requirements. Students should work with the business manager in the department to follow all requirements for submitting receipts for reimbursement of expenses.
All graduate students who accept conference funding support from the Graduate Student Assembly and the Provost's Office commit to presenting a poster, paper, powerpoint, or other appropriate format of their work at the annual Innovation with Impact Research Exhibition during Graduate Student Appreciation Week. In 2017 the exhibition is scheduled for Thursday, April 6, 2017.