Student Emergency Support Funding
There are three forms of student emergency support funding available: emergency student loans, parental loans, and non-qualified scholarships from the Tartan Emergency Support Fund. These funds have been established through the generosity of alumni, trustees, friends of the university, Undergraduate Student Senate, Graduate Student Assembly and student organizations to provide enrolled CMU undergraduate and graduate students with emergency funds. More information about the types of funding will be provided when you meet with a member of the Office of the Dean of Students to discuss your needs. The type of funding appropriate for your situation will be determined during your meeting. Tuition costs are not eligible for Student Emergency Support Funding.
To apply, please review the below information and complete the online application for Student Emergency Support Funding.
Emergency Student Loans
The Emergency Student Loan is an emergency based loan repayable within 30 days. Loans are available to enrolled undergraduate and graduate students for academic supplies, medication, food or other unforeseeable circumstances. A repayment plan is arranged through the Office of the Dean of Students or by posting to the student account.
Student Parental Loans
The Student Parental Loan is available to any student who becomes a parent via guardianship, adoption or birth while enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student. Loans are repayable within one year of the loan disbursement with a repayment plan set up through the Office of the Dean of Students. Students seeking any of the Parental Accommodations described below must register with the Office of the Dean of Students by calling 412-268-2075 or visiting the office at 321 Warner Hall.
Tartan Emergency Support Fund
The Tartan Emergency Support Fund (TESF) is non-qualified scholarship funding that has been established to provide enrolled CMU undergraduate and graduate students with emergency funds for unforeseeable expenses related to immediate, short-term personal basic needs for which repayment is not possible. Approved TESF support does not require repayment; however, students receiving these funds are responsible for any potential tax implications. Prior distribution of TESF non-qualified scholarship funding will be considered should a student apply for future or repeat emergency funding.
Apply for Student Emergency Support Funding
Please follow these instructions to apply for Student Emergency Support Funding. If you need assistance, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at (412) 268-2075.
- Use the link below to open the Student Emergency Support Funding Request form.
- Click SIGN IN and enter your Andrew ID and Password.
- Once signed in, click BEGIN THIS FORM.
- Your Student Information will populate including your Last Name, First Name (if preferred first name is indicated in SIO – if not you will be prompted to enter it on page 2), Class, Enrollment Status, and Email Address.
- Enter your phone number in the Best Contact Phone Number field.
- Enter your address in the Current Mailing Address field and click NEXT.
- Enter the amount you are requesting for emergency support funding.
- Provide a brief description of the purpose of the funding, meaning how the funds are intended to be used (ie. rent or other bills, car repair, living expenses). You will further discuss your needs when you meet with a funding authorizer.
- There are three forms of student support funding available: emergency student loans, maternity loans, and the Tartan Emergency Support Fund. More information about the types of funding and the funding appropriate for your situation will be determined during your meeting.
- Review the terms and conditions of each type of funding and click NEXT to acknowledge your understanding and acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Review your supplied details and click SUBMIT FORM.
You will receive an email confirming that your emergency student funding request was successfully submitted. A member of the Office of the Dean of Students will contact you within one business day. If your situation is urgent, or you have not received a response within this period, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at (412) 268-2075 and reference your funding number. If you need additional support regarding your situation, please do not hesitate to contact our office immediately. We will help you to determine the best path forward.