October 25-26, 2019
Carnegie Mellon's annual Homecoming is a family-friendly day of fun and a great chance to reconnect with campus and old friends, meet current students and say hello to faculty and staff — and cheer on the Tartans to victory, of course!
Presented by the Carnegie Mellon University Alumni Association, the Homecoming celebration centers around the football game in Gesling Stadium. Each Homecoming, the alumni Networks of the Year are recognized. Other events include the tailgate lunch and a variety of family activities and games, plus other organizational events.
Homecoming Tailgate highlights for the ENTIRE CMU community:
Tailgate Lunch (11 a.m.-2:30 p.m.), includes complimentary entrance to football game. (Entrance to watch the game from the grandstands without Tailgate Lunch is $5/adult and $2/child.)
Tailgate Activities (11 a.m.-4 p.m.):
- Chance to win prizes, including a grand prize of Kindle Fire if you visit all stations listed on punch card
- Inflatable football toss and giant inflatable chair
- Lawn games
- KidZone Area, including fun demos and hands-on activities with CMU Gelfand Center STEM Ambassadors, bounce house, allergy-friendly snacks, prizes and much more! PLUS, balloon artist, face painter and much more (11 a.m.-1 p.m.).
Buggy 100 Year Anniversary activities, including rolls, History of Buggy and a punch-card station with inflatable buggy (11 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
Interactive photo booth with Halloween costume dress up, including authentic props from athletic department (11 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
Lots more, including master pumpkin carver, pep rally and S’mores station – check out the full schedule of events!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Homecoming Tailgate?
The focus of Homecoming is a family-friendly tailgate event (with lots of activities and food) centered around the Tartans football game.
Do I need to register in advance? What is the deadline?
We highly encourage advance registration in order to get an accurate food count, although onsite registration is available for events without a capacity limit. Advance registration will close at 5 pm ET on Friday, October 18.
Will I receive a confirmation of my advance registration?
Yes, by providing an email address, you will receive a message confirming details, as well as instructions on how to edit your event options, if needed.
Am I able to see who else is attending?
Yes, you are able to view a list of registrants IF they did not choose to opt out. You may sort by name, class year and college.
Where do I go when I first arrive on campus?
On Saturday, October 26, stop at the main Registration & Welcome Area in the grassy area in front of Gesling Stadium—look for the Tent and inflatable football toss—to find out exactly what to do and where to go! Welcome area hours are from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
What should I wear for the weekend?
Casual attire is appropriate.
Who are the Tartans playing? What time does the game start?
The Tartans take on the Thiel College Tomcats at 1 p.m. Learn more about the Tartans football team.
How much does the game cost?
Entrance into the grandstands is $5/adult and $2/child. However, if an attendee pays for the Tailgate Lunch, entrance into the game is free (entrance details provided upon registration).
Where should I park on campus?
Due to the influx of attendees for the Inauguration & Homecoming Weekend, special parking rules are in effect. Parking is available:
- Friday: Paid parking is available in the East Campus Garage on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Saturday: Free parking is available in the East Campus Garage on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Short term: Short-term (under 30 minutes) parking in the East Campus Garage: Pull into the garage, take a ticket and park in the area that is marked "short-term" which is to the left as soon as you come in from the Forbes Avenue side. You may park in that area for 30 minutes free and when you pull out you would only need to take your ticket and put it into the exit gate. The gates are programmed for 30 minutes free; however, if you park for 31 minutes you would be charged for an hour, which is $3.00.
- Additional parking: Available in the Dithridge Street Garage (Weekdays: $12 daily rate; $5 weekends & weekdays after 5 p.m.) and the Gates Garage (Weekdays: $14 maximum rate; $4 weekends and weekdays after 5 p.m.).
- Disabled parking: Available in the East Campus Garage, which requires the blue decal being presented (pass or license plate) to utilize the spaces.
Are there facilities for those with disabilities or special needs (including dietary)?
We want to make sure Homecoming is enjoyable, welcoming and accessible for all alumni, families, students, and their guests. If you or any of your guests have special needs, please let us know.
- In advance: Please call 866-401-9529.
- Onsite: Alert the staff by going to the Registration & Welcome Area in the grassy area in front of Gesling Stadium—look for the Tent and inflatable football toss. Welcome area hours are from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Are golf carts and wheel chairs available?
Should you need assistance onsite, alert the staff by going to the Registration & Welcome Area in the grassy area in front of Gesling Stadium—look for the Tent and inflatable football toss. Welcome area hours are from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. If you would like to request a wheelchair in advance, please call 866-401-9529.
Where is the bookstore located? What are the hours of operation?
Stay tuned for information!
Is wireless available?
All guests can access the CMU guest wireless, valid from October 23-28. Code: 34M8BEXZ. Learn more: www.cmu.edu/computing/network/guests.
Where should I eat on campus?
In addition to the many activities throughout the weekend that will have food and beverages, if you are looking for a place to eat on campus, be sure to check out the Dining Service website.
May I use the gym?
Alumni and their guests may use the athletic facilities this weekend by presenting their Homecoming name badge at the Equipment Desk, located on the first floor of the University Center, across from Wiegand Gym. You will receive a wristband and access to facilities, as available (including weight room, racquetball and squash courts). Note: Wiegand Gym will be offline for events.
- Thursday & Friday: 6 a.m.-2 a.m.
- Saturday & Sunday: 9 a.m.-2 a.m.
Am I able to smoke on campus?
Many areas on campus have been designated smoke-free zones, inclusive of 20 feet proximity to all building entrances. Please adhere to the university policy and the posted smoking areas.