Alumni Career Resources
The Career and Professional Development Center offers a variety of services for alumni. In addition to the specific services described below, alumni can use all of the resources available to current students, including job postings in Handshake.
Note: The CPDC does not serve students and alumni in Information Networking Institute, Entertainment Technology Center, Heinz College, and Tepper graduate programs, as they are served by their college/department-specific career centers.
You can schedule an appointment with a CPDC Career Consultant to discuss a variety of career-related topics. Schedule an appointment via Handshake.
You can also schedule with an Alumni Career & Executive Coach. All coaches are CMU alumni who have been screened in advance by Alumni Relations and Career and Professional Development Center staff. This is a fee-based offering with special rates negotiated for the CMU alumni community. Rate details are available through the coaches and may vary by services sought, market, etc. When talking with coaches, please be sure to mention that you are a CMU alumnus/a.
Job Fairs & Networking
Checklist for Graduating Students & Recently Graduated Alumni
- Activate or convert to your Alumni Handshake account (after graduation)
- Complete the Handshake First Destination Survey. Please take a few minutes of your time to share your post-graduation plans with the Career and Professional Development Center. This information will be kept confidential within the Carnegie Mellon University community. You can find the outcomes of previous graduates on our Outcomes page.
For Bachelor students: First Destination Survey in Handshake (link coming soon!)
For Master students: First Destination Survey in Handshake (link coming soon!)
For Doctoral students: First Destination Survey in Handshake (link coming soon!)
- Schedule an appointment with your Career Consultant (virtual/phone) on Handshake or email your availability to your Career Consultant. You can find your college's/department's consultant on our Browse Resources by College page. Possible topics to discuss with your Career Consultant:
- Job offer evaluation/negotiation
- Interviewing skills
- Job search information, ideas, and tips
- Update your resume and upload to Handshake. You can find Resume Samples and Tips on our Write a Resume/Cover Letter page.
- Begin Networking with colleagues, family, friends, classmates, faculty.