CMUniverse is a virtual mentoring platform that lets students choose how and when they want to engage with alumni. Alumni can provide advice on topics like:
Job search and interview strategies
Career paths and industry trends
Choosing a major
Applying to grad school
Resume or cover letter advice
Challenges with school, job, outlook, etc.
Responsibilities and Recommendations
Wondering what responsibilities you have as a flash mentee or mentor? We'll go over those and some recommendations below.
Recommendations for students:
- Be curious - Whether you're searching for connections or prepping for your first meeting, think about what you want to learn from alumni.
- Respect your mentor's time - Be on time for the meeting, and make things as easy as possible for the mentor in terms of scheduling and logistics.
- Don't ask for a job - Ask for advice and about your mentor's experience instead!
Recommendations for alumni / mentors:
- Be patient - Some students may not have done informational interviews or networking before.
- Meet them where they're at - Students may be at different stages in their education or career.
- Provide feedback - To the student as well as to the staff at CMU to ensure we are providing proper guidance for students to conduct themselves appropriately and effectively.
Utilize the robust search and filter functionality to find alumni with the expertise and background you're looking for.
Connect via text, phone, Zoom, in-person, whatever makes you feel most comfortable!
Get quick advice through quick, one-time connections or long-term messaging.
Stay up-to-date with career-related discussion boards and affinity groups that include both alumni and students.