LEGO® MINDSTORMS and SPIKE Prime – Ideal solution for teaching robotics at all levels
LEGO MINDSTORMS and SPIKE Prime educational robotic systems provide a tailor-made solution of hardware, software and educational resources for use in classrooms, after-school club environments, and homeschooling. Students learn to design, program and control fully-functional models and robots that carry out life-like automated tasks.
LEGO Robotics provides the ideal technology to teach Computer Science, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. LEGO is also used as the building system in multiple robotics competitions. One of the first choices that you will need to make is what software you will use.
Note: There are many other LEGO programming languages available. The languages shown below are the ones that the Robotics Academy has studied and developed resources for classrooms.
Things to consider
1. Decide what it is that you want to teach using robotics
2. Choose a robot platform that is right for your instructional goals –
(Are you building a multi-year program or an introductory program? Are you going to engage your students in competitions? Does the robot platform choice need to grow with your instructional goals?)
3. Select a programming software that aligns with your instructional goals
4. Develop a curriculum continuum that makes sense for your schools learning objectives
5. Develop a professional development plan that will support high-quality instruction for all students
6. Order kits, software, curriculum, and storage solutions – (Planning for storing your robots is important!)
7. Schedule training – (This can be self-paced via an online training course, or face to face training)
8. Dedicate time to practice building and programming with the new technology
9. Prepare lesson plans – (Comprehensive lesson plans are included in the Carnegie Mellon curriculum)