Earn SMART Micro-Certifications through FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC)
Participants of the FIRST Robotics Competition can earn the SMART Robotics Technician Micro-Certifications by uploading evidence (e.g. photos, videos, diagrams) of various aspects of their robot and passing knowledge assessments (quizzes). The evidence and quiz focus on the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes that were identified during the SMART project.
|How much is it?|
|If Administered By:||Cost per Micro-Certification|
|Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy||$50|
|A Certified Coach or Teacher*||$12|
|*To become a Certified Coach or Teacher, you must complete training provided by Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy.
- Mechanical Foundations (through FRC)
- Fabrication Foundations (through FRC)
- Electrical Foundations (through FRC)
- Software Foundations (through FRC)
- Robotics Integration (through FRC)
How do I start earning SMART Robotics Technician Certifications?
Participants can begin earning progress in the Micro-Certifications right away by going through the publicly available courses on the CS-STEM Network. To gain access to the final exam within any course, you will need to pay the access fee through the CMU Online Store.
For participants without a Certified Coach or Teacher, their evidence will be evaluated directly by the Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy. These access fees may be paid here.
After purchasing access, you will be added to a special CS2N group that contains the activity:
Note: You will need to click on the activity to set this as your current (active) course.
Teacher and Coach Certification
For participants with a Certified Coach or Teacher, participant evidence can be evaluated by that Coach or Teacher. Coaches and teachers may be certified by completing the professional development course that aligns with the micro-certification they'd like to offer.
- Complete Mechanical Foundations Professional Development to offer the Mechanical Foundations Micro-certification
- Complete Electrical Foundations Professional Development to offer the Electrical Foundations Micro-certification
- Complete Fabrication Foundations Professional Development to offer the Fabrication Foundations Micro-certification
- Complete Robotics Integration + Software Foundations (Arduino) Professional Development to offer the Robotics Integration and Software FoundationsFoundations Micro-certifications
How can I prepare for them?
Throughout the season of a robotics competition, team members should save all documentation, take photos and/or videos while working on the robot and while the robot is on the challenge area. It is recommended that you have someone who can document this on your team to help with obtaining evidence.
Take a preview of the courses to better understand what pieces of evidence to capture. It is recommended that you have someone who can document this on your team to help with obtaining evidence.