Carnegie Mellon University

Support for Others

There are times in everyone’s life when we need some extra help. When someone in the CMU community (family member, friend, or alumni) recognizes a student who needs additional support and resources, there are several places to start:

  • Student Support Resources will gather information, assess the situation and engage with the many campus resources available to help in partnership with the student as well as provide ongoing support. They can also consult with you about options and how to approach a student about getting additional support. The CMU Cares Referral Form will put you in touch with the Student Support Resources team. They can also be reached at 412-268-2075.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services clinicians are available to consult with individuals who are concerned about a student’s mental health. You can contact CaPS at 412-268-2922 or reference this section of the CaPS website.
  • In the event of an urgent concern or emergency that occurs after typical business hours or if someone is in imminent danger, please call 911. University Police are also available 24/7 at 412-268-2323 and works closely with Student Affairs.
  • Additionally, you can explore these well-being resources, engage in a training or workshop, like How to Help a Friend, and check out some Wellness InitiativesDepending on if you are a peer, a family member, or faculty or staff, there are many people who can help you help a student you are concerned about, including Peer Health Advocates, RAs and CAs, Student Support Resources, Housefellows and more.