Transition Your Services
Use the guidance below as you transition your email, file storage, and other computing services from Carnegie Mellon to new services and storage locations. Keep in mind, student accounts remain active for 90-days and faculty and staff for 30-days (at your department's discretion) after leaving the university.
Email and Calendar
Create an email account
- Faculty/staff select a free service provider such as Google or Yahoo.
- Graduating students take advantage of the @alumni.cmu.edu email. See the Alumni Association website for details. Please note, this is a new email account. You will need to export your email, contacts and calendar data (see below).
IMPORTANT: Do not use the POP3 feature on your personal email or Alumni account to pull email from your Andrew account.
Export your email messages, contacts and calendar data
- Outlook - search help for "export" or "backup"
- Google Apps @ CMU - see export email, export your calendar data and export Gmail contacts
- Mail/iCal - search help for "export" or "backup"
Forward your email
- Visit emailtools.cmu.edu
- Click Mail Forwarding and follow the onscreen steps.
Note: Your Carnegie Mellon email will only forward during the transition period. Once your account expires, email forwarding is disabled.
Delete or transition ownership of recurring calendar events
If you use Exchange, follow the steps to delete or transition recurring calendar events.
Download files stored in the cloud
If you have files stored in Box or Google Apps @ CMU, be sure to download them to your computer's hard drive, removable media or another storage location.
Transfer your files from Andrew File System (AFS)
- Delete any files that you don't want to keep.
- Use a secure FTP program to move files to your computer's hard drive, removable media or another storage location.
Save and unpublish your personal web pages (www.andrew.cmu.edu)
Remove licensed software from your computer
Once your Carnegie Mellon affiliation ends, you are required to remove software purchased through Computer Sales and software downloaded from the locations below. The exception is Microsoft products where students may request a perpetual software license.
- Computing Services software page (e.g., Matlab, Mathematica, etc.)
- Departmental servers
- Andrew directories
- VMware Campus Store
Request a perpetual software license for Microsoft Windows and Office
Students may request perpetual software licenses for post-graduation use of Microsoft Windows and Office. Please contact email@example.com two months prior to graduation. This software is not eligible for upgrades or technical support, but may be used in perpetuity after you leave the university.