Carnegie Mellon University

Prospective Statistics & Data Science Undergraduates

Welcome, and thank you for your interest in the Department of Statistics & Data Science at Carnegie Mellon University!

Our undergraduate program has earned a reputation as one of the top programs in the country, with five different majors to choose from. Carnegie Mellon provides an educational landscape that fosters exploration into other academic interests as well, providing a uniquely diverse academic experience. In this department, you'll join a community of driven students and have an education based on real-world application. You'll have a chance to learn from and work with our faculty who are world-renowned in various fields and leading the way in exceptional research and teaching. Come and join us to gain the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in this exciting field!

Our Majors

Stat & DS has five undergraduate majors, and one minor. All of the below majors can be primary or additional majors, and our minor is easily added to a wide variety of majors. 



Undergraduate Research

There are a wide variety of research opportunities within the department that are built into the curriculum for each Statistics degree.

  • Sophomores can take 36-290: Undergraduate Research, a course that introduces students to research early in their academic career.

  • Juniors/Seniors can take various capstone courses that provide a real world research experience, with real data and questions to examine. These include academic research projects, sports analytics, and industry partner projects.

It is also very common for students to do research in other departments such as English, History, Machine Learning, Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Business, Economics, Public Policy, among many others.


Learn about research opportunities and funding at the university-level


Many students with a Statistics degree also pursue internships during the summer which provide an opportunity to apply what was learned in the classroom and gain additional context and meaning. Internships can help to develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in a future career. CMU provides various types of support for students who are interested in pursuing an internship through the Career and Professional Development Center.

Our undergraduate students have landed internships at top companies including Amazon, BNY Mellon, Facebook, Highmark Health, Optum, IBM, PNC, among many others.

Learn more about internship & summer experience outcomes

Post-Graduation Outcomes

When you earn a Statistics degree from our department, you'll be equipped for success in a diverse range of industries. 75% of our graduates land jobs in industry straight after graduation, while the remaining 25% pursue advanced degrees.

Our department has a strong track record, with over 90% of our Statistics graduates securing jobs immediately after graduation. Many of our alumni have found success at renowned companies like Amazon, Capital One, Deloitte, Facebook, Microsoft, PNC, KPMG, and many more.

Learn more about our post-graduation outcomes

Contact us for more information!