Step-by-Step Guide: Academic Advisor Role in Study Abroad
Please contact us with any issues or questions that my arise during any stage of the process.
- Encourage students to make appointments with a study abroad advisor during regular advising appointments.
- Discuss with students how study abroad can integrate into and enhance the Carnegie Mellon curriculum.
- Help students determine best timing and what they need to accomplish while abroad.
- Organize departmental information sessions with a study abroad advisor.
- Complete and sign student application forms to confirm that they can be successful while abroad.
- Write recommendation letters.
- Notify students of pre-departure orientation requirement through OIE.
- Discuss Study Abroad Transfer Credit Form (SATC) with students and sign.
- Approve course changes while students are abroad through electronic Follow-Up SATC.
- Assist students with course registration for the semester they will return to campus.
- Welcome study abroad students back to campus and seek opportunities to integrate their experiences abroad into their curricular and meta-curricular activities.
- Upon receipt of transcript, assess and award transfer credit.
- Advise students about prestigious awards & scholarships to draw on study abroad experiences (refer to Fellowships & Scholarships Office).