Carnegie Mellon University

Before You Go FAQs

Students will receive transfer credit for courses taken abroad that are approved by the academic department. Students must attain at least a U.S equivalent "C" or higher (U.S. equivalent "B" or higher for Math and Economics courses) to receive credit. Grades from abroad are not factored into a student’s QPA and do not show up on the Carnegie Mellon transcript. However, graduate schools and scholarship organizations may request a copy of a study abroad transcript. Final credit levels are assessed once the transcript is received by Carnegie Mellon.

Health, safety and security are of the utmost importance and may well influence a student’s choice of a study abroad program. Students and their parents/guardians are encouraged to discuss concerns with a Carnegie Mellon study abroad advisor. Check out the U.S. Department of State website and the Centers for Disease Control for up-to-date travel information. If a travel warning to a specific country is issued, study abroad programs may choose to cancel the program for the semester. Health insurance is very important while abroad. Ensure that coverage is comprehensive and will extend the duration of the experience.

There are many programs that offer disability services, and most programs can accommodate students if they are notified well enough in advance. OIE can work with students to find a study abroad program that meets their interests and needs. Mobility International is also a good resource for abroad opportunities for students with disabilities.

Accommodations during study abroad vary from university residence halls to apartments or home-stays:
  • Bear in mind that university residence halls, apartments or home-stays may be dispersed around the city requiring a daily commute by foot, bus or underground rail/subway.
  • Meals may or may not be provided at the residence hall; it is the norm for students to share a kitchen either with a floor or a suite of rooms. This is often a great way to meet people.
  • A home-stay generally involves renting a room in someone’s home; it may mean being treated as part of the family or as a paying guest.  Home-stay hosts can be traditional families, young professionals or retired persons.
Not all departmental exchanges or direct enrollments provide housing for study abroad students. Do not assume that the university provides housing. It is important to ask and be prepared to look for housing independently, if necessary.

Students are required by Carnegie Mellon to attend a pre-departure orientation which includes an overview of the administrative requirements and cross-cultural and practical tips related to study and travel abroad. Students also receive important registration documents to complete. Students do not need to take a leave of absence to study abroad. Ensure that the hhealth insurance provider will cover students studying abroad for the duration of the trip.

  • Fill out the necessary paperwork which includes the Study Abroad Transfer Credit form for course approvals abroad.

  • Ensure that study abroad transcripts are sent to the Carnegie Mellon University Registrar's Office.

  • Make arrangements to register for classes while abroad. Discuss registration with academic advisor before leaving.

  • Check out of campus housing by completing the housing form online.