Our vision of philosophy is interdisciplinary, rigorous, applied and relevant.
We do research on the foundations of science, computation, mathematics, rationality, causation, cognitive science, and other disciplines. We publish in philosophy, mathematics, computer science, biology, medicine, neuroscience, statistics, social science, educational research, linguistics, and other disciplines. Our faculty serve on National Academies of Science committees, work with the WHO, the CDC, the NSA, and NASA, and do work directly in the community via deliberative democracy. Our close connections to several other disciplines at Carnegie Mellon and our proximity to the University of Pittsburgh make for the most exciting venue for interdisciplinary philosophical work in the world today.
Philosophy Department News
- Kevin Zollman Receives Mellon Foundation New Directions Fellowship
- CMU To Host Conference on Ethics and AI
- Students to City Council: Use Self-Driving Vehicles to Help Underserved Communities
- Pittsburgh Organizations Can Now Find CMU Dietrich College Interns More Easily
- Philosophy Class Visits Navlab
- GovTrack To Adopt Carnegie Mellon’s Citizen Input Feature