Applications for Fall 2021 enrollment (including letters of recommendation) are due on Friday, January 1, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern US time.Applications for Doctoral (Logic, Computation, & Methodology; Pure & Applied Logic; or Philosophy), Master of Science, and Master of Arts degrees must include:
- Graduate application
- Sample of original written work
- Personal research statement
- Three (or more) letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- For applications in 2020-2021, GRE scores are optional. If students would like to provide them, they may. But they are not required. (Institution code: 2074; Department code: 2801)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for non-native English speaking applicants
- There is no application fee for applying to any of the graduate programs in the department of philosophy
Scanned versions of official transcripts, GRE score reports, and TOEFL / IELTS scores can be uploaded in lieu of sending paper copies. Students are encouraged to determine if they qualify for a GRE fee waiver.
Whenever possible, materials should be submitted electronically.
For any material that cannot be submitted online, please send it to:
Department of Philosophy
135 Baker Hall
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
List of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For specific admissions-related questions not answered in the FAQ, please contact Kevin Zollman, Director of Graduate Studies.
Student consumer information is available.