Applications for Fall 2021 enrollment (including letters of recommendation) were due by Friday, January 1, 2021 by 11:59 p.m. Eastern US time.Applications for Doctoral (Logic, Computation, & Methodology; Pure & Applied Logic; or Philosophy), Master of Science, and Master of Arts degrees must include:
- Graduate application
- Sample of original written work
- Personal research statement
- Three (or more) letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- For applications in 2020-2021, GRE scores are optional. If students would like to provide them, they may. But they are not required. (Institution code: 2074; Department code: 2801)
- For non-native English speaking applicants, we require scores from one of the following tests: TOEFL, IELTS, or the Duolingo English Language Test. If the pandemic imposes substantial difficulties in taking any of these tests, the applicant is encouraged to contact the Director of Graduate Studies to discuss alternative options.
- There is no application fee for applying to any of the graduate programs in the department of philosophy
Scanned versions of official transcripts, GRE score reports, and TOEFL / IELTS scores can be uploaded in lieu of sending paper copies. Students are encouraged to determine if they qualify for a GRE fee waiver.
Whenever possible, materials should be submitted electronically.
For any material that cannot be submitted online, please send it to:
Department of Philosophy
135 Baker Hall
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
List of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For specific admissions-related questions not answered in the FAQ, please contact Kevin Zollman, Director of Graduate Studies.
Student consumer information is available.