Applications for Fall 2023 enrollment are now closed.Applications for Doctoral (Logic, Computation, & Methodology; Pure & Applied Logic; or Philosophy), Master of Science, and Master of Arts degrees must include:
- Graduate application
- A sample of original written work, such as a paper, problem set, or scientific report
- Personal research statement
- Three (or more) letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- GRE General test scores. We accept scanned copies of unofficial score reports. GRE subject tests are not required, but may be submitted if the applicant chooses. We recognize that for some applicants the GRE imposes a hardship either because of finances or because of the ongoing pandemic. If you have concerns, please reach out to the Director of Graduate Studies to request a GRE waiver.
- For non-native English speaking applicants, we require scores from one of the following tests: TOEFL, IELTS, or the Duolingo English Language Test. If the pandemic imposes substantial difficulties in taking any of these tests, the applicant is encouraged to contact the Director of Graduate Studies to discuss alternative options.
- There is no application fee for applying to any of the graduate programs in the department of philosophy
Scanned versions of official transcripts, GRE score reports, and TOEFL / IELTS scores can be uploaded in lieu of sending paper copies. Students are encouraged to determine if they qualify for a GRE fee waiver.
Whenever possible, materials should be submitted electronically.
For any material that cannot be submitted online, please send it to:
Carnegie Mellon University
Department of Philosophy
Attn: Graduate Admissions
Baker Hall 161 Pittsburgh, PA 15213
List of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For specific admissions-related questions not answered in the FAQ, please contact Kevin Zollman, Director of Graduate Studies.
Student consumer information is available.