Rental Vehicles User Agreement
Agreement for Use of Vehicles Rented by University Faculty, Staff and Students for University Business in the United States.
In consideration of Carnegie Mellon University's agreement to provide me with a Pennsylvania Financial Responsibility ID Card so that I can provide proof of insurance to rent a vehicle for university business:
I understand and agree that:
- In order to provide proof of insurance using the University's Pennsylvania Financial Responsibility ID Card to rent a vehicle for university business, I must possess a valid motor vehicle driver's license issued in my state of residency or in a foreign country that is valid in the United States for the locations where travel is planned and for the type of vehicle that is being rented.
- If my driver's license or driving privileges are currently suspended or revoked, I may not rent a vehicle for University business.
- The University may in its discretion complete a driver's motor vehicle records check on me to confirm the validity of my driver's license or that it or my driving privileges are not suspended or revoked.
- Renting and operating a vehicle is inherently risky and I may be held personally liable.
- That I will not rent a vehicle for university business if I do not have a valid driver's license as required by point 1 above or if my driver's license or driving privileges are currently suspended or revoked.
- That I will not allow any other driver to operate the rented vehicle unless the vehicle rental company has authorized the other driver to operate the rented vehicle
- To operate the rented vehicle in a safe manner and only if it is in a safe operating condition at all times.
- To comply with all applicable laws and regulations relating to my operation of the rented vehicle.
- To accurately complete the pre-use condition survey report (secured from vehicle rental company) for the rental vehicle prior to leaving the vehicle rental company lot.
In case of an accident involving the rented vehicle or damage to the rented vehicle, I agree:
- To promptly report any such accident or damage to the rental car company and the police, if applicable. Within 24 hours, notification must be made to my supervisor and/or Department's Business Manager as well as to Insurance Services at Insurance-Services@andrew.cmu.edu.
- To promptly obtain and forward copies of all police reports, witness statements and other pertinent documents relating to the accident or damage, if any, to my supervisor and/or Department's Business Manager.
- To timely cooperate with university representatives, including its insurance representatives and claims adjusters, in any investigation relating to the accident or damage.
- That I will not make any verbal or written statements about the accident or damage except to law enforcement officials, the vehicle rental company or University representatives.
I acknowledge that I have read the foregoing, and agree to it. Access the university's insurance card here.