Senior Research Fellow in SLA
341 Posner Hall
Department of Modern Languages
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
I am an applied linguist whose research and teaching focuses on language assessment, assessment policy for immigration and citizenship, innovative approaches to assessment, and statistical analyses.
Areas of Interest
- Assessment for immigration and citizenship
- Scenario-based and integrative language skills
- Ethics and standards in language assessment
- Evaluation of assessments
Selected Awards and Honors
- Individual Expert, Association of Language Teachers in Europe, 2020-
- Excellence in Research, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University of Macau, 2019
- Founding President and Past President, Asian Association for Language Assessment, 2014-16
- Apple Lecturer Award, Teachers College, Columbia University, February 2010
- Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Research Award for Language Testing, ETS, Princeton, 1994
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
- Honorary Advisor, HK PolyUniv. -Tsinghua Univ. Centre for Language Sciences, 2013-15.
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee, Assessments for ELLs, ETS, Princeton, 2012-13.
- Member, Fulbright National Review Panel for TEFL/Applied Linguistics, 2010-13.
- Member, Fulbright National Screening Committee for East Asia, ETAs, 2010-13.
- Strand Coordinator, Assessment & Evaluation, AAAL Conference, 2002, 2008, 2011.
"Evaluating language assessments." (Routledge, 2018).
"The Companion to Language Assessment." (4 edited volumes; Wiley, 2014).