Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration
A one-year, online program for language teaching, language supervision, language program administration, and curriculum development
The Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration is a one-year, online program. Courses are designed for current educators and graduate students who are seeking to advance in their careers through language teaching, language supervision, language program administration, and/or curriculum development.
The program includes four courses designed and taught by Carnegie Mellon University professors of Applied Linguistics:
- Curriculum Design & Review
- Leadership & Teacher Supervision
- Language Program Evaluation
- Business Administration of Language Programs
Courses are offered online asynchronously with no required course meetings and optional Zoom office hours. The program is open to language educators working in elementary, secondary, and higher education contexts. Graduate students currently enrolled in applied linguistics, language studies, education, or TESOL programs are welcome to apply, as are instructors and administrators working in dual language, immersion, or study abroad settings.
Learners completing the program will be eligible for a certificate and 30 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). The program must be completed in one academic year (August through May), taking one course at a time.
Apply for the Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration
Program Objectives & Learning Outcomes
The Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration program provides applied training activities in pedagogy and administration.
Program at a glance
- One academic year, part time program
- 100% online
- 100% asynchronous with optional Zoom office hours
- 4 online courses, taken consecutively
- A certificate will be awarded at the end of the program valid for 30 continuing education credits with participating institutions
- High-quality training from professors with expertise in applied linguistics, education, and business administration
- Non-transcriptable: these courses do not count for college credit
By the end of the program, learners in the Professional Certificate will be able to:
- Build and review proposals of course materials and curricula for world language, bilingual education, dual immersion, study abroad, and ESOL programs at the elementary, secondary, and higher education levels.
- Conduct classroom observations of language instructional practice and provide meaningful support for the teachers in implementing recommendations.
- Plan and formulate language program evaluations by interviewing stakeholders and analyzing program documents to assess program needs and future directions.
- Design and justify a business plan for a language program while integrating best legal, marketing, and budgeting practices for diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility.
Learners completing the Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration may be eligible for career advancement opportunities in administration, instruction, and curriculum design in language learning contexts including dual immersion, ESOL, bilingual education, study abroad, elementary education, secondary education, higher education, and industry.
Who Should Apply
The Professional Certificate in Language Program Administration is a good fit for:
- Elementary and secondary educators, community college instructors, and university instructors of second languages, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), dual language, or immersion programs
- Currently certified teachers interested in additional training and continuing education units
- Graduate students currently enrolled in programs related to applied linguistics, language studies, education, or TESOL*
- Language program administrators/managers
- Language educators and administrators in the U.S. and abroad
Applicants should hold:
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in foreign language, TESOL, linguistics, applied linguistics, or equivalent.
Applicants can be domestic or international. If you are an international applicant, please note that this online program does not provide a visa for living, traveling, working, or studying in the United States.
Tuition and Funding
The cost of the program is $5,000. This includes:
- 28 weeks of instruction
- 4 online courses
- Weekly pacing emails from your professors
- Weekly feedback from your professors
- Career training in instructional, curriculum design, and business administration elements of language programs
- Hands on instruction from a Carnegie Mellon University professor in the Department of Modern Languages
- Certificate upon successful completion of the program
- 30 Continuing Education Units upon completion of the program
Discounts are available for applicants who can prove current enrollment in graduate programs (Masters or PhD) in applied linguistics, linguistics, education, or language studies. Please contact program director, Dr. Natalie Amgott to learn more about the tuition discounts if you are currently enrolled in a graduate program.