INI Internship Process & Requirements
INI students enrolled in an Applied or Applied Advanced study option are required to complete an internship as part of their program of study.
- The INI Internship is a 3-unit course that must be completed prior to graduation. The course is graded as Pass/No Pass.
- Internships must be approved by the INI. For your internship to be approved, it must be relevant to your program of study.
- Internships are expected to be completed during the first summer term (depending on your semester of entry and duration of program).
- Successful completion of the internship requirement is determined by the INI.
- The INI Internship will appear on your final transcript.
INI Internship Canvas Course
Satisfying your internship requirement is a three-phased process (see timeline below). To facilitate and manage this process, students requiring an internship will be added to the INI Internship course on Canvas. This course was developed to group necessary tasks and assignments in a distinct manner to lead students toward a successful outcome. The course structure is designed to be as clear and seamless as possible, while reducing uncertainty and eliminating avoidable delays.
Phase 1: Search Process
- Job Search
- Interview Preparation
- Offer Selection
Phase 2: Approval Process
- Offer Letter Submission
- Department Approval
- Course Registration
- Work Authorization Approval
Phase 3: Completion Process
- Completion of Internship
- Company Summary Form Submission
- Student Summary Form Submission
Considerations for International Students
Questions? Contact Lisa Currin, INI Foreign Student Coordinator
Curricular Practical Training, or CPT, is initially approved by the INI department and authorized through the Office of International Education (OIE). CPT forms must be signed by designated INI staff (Note: Academic Advisors are not designated staff and cannot approve CPT forms).
More information can be found on the Office of International Education’s website.
Full resources and guidelines are available on the INI Internship Canvas course.
Essential Forms and Resources
INI Sample Offer Letter - Industry Positions: Satisfies internship and CPT requirements. Download Sample Letter
Sample Offer Letter - Unpaid Campus Positions: Please contact email@example.com if you’ve received an offer for on-campus work at CMU.
Internship Summary Form: to be completed and submitted by your internship supervisor or company secondary contact. Download Form
Student Summary Form: to be completed by the student. Access form via Canvas.