Carnegie Mellon University

Tuition & Financial Aid


EST&P tuition is charged at the standard College of Engineering (Carnegie Institute of Technology or CIT) master’s degree rate, and students are billed each semester for one-half of the academic year graduate tuition. An EST&P student will complete the program in one academic year paying for two semesters of full-time tuition, an EST&P-AS degree student will pay for three semesters, and an EST&P-AS-CS degree student will pay for four semesters. The full cost of attendance is estimated for the College of Engineering (CIT) by including activity & technology fees, transportation, off-campus housing, health insurance, etc. on the Hub website Itemized CIT Cost of Attendance page.

Invoices for fall tuition and fees are due on August 15. Spring tuition and fees are due January 15. For more information on billing and invoicing, please visit the Student Financial Services website.  

Financial Aid

EST&P is a coursework based professional Master of Science program and students are primarily self-funded through personal savings and educational loans, or externally funded through government, private fellowships, or by their employer. 

All applicants to the EST&P program are considered for an alumni scholarship by the admissions committee at the time of admission review, which at this time is the only minimal financial support offered through the program (~20% reduction in tuition). Selected applicants are notified in their offer of admission letter. Masters students are encouraged to apply for external funding. 

External Funding Opportunities Outside Carnegie Mellon

U.S. Department of Education Resources
U.S. citizens and permanent residents may complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on line to apply for federal financial aid. Students may obtain information regarding their loans through the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program, including deferment forms and payment information. Information about the federal student aid programs may be found at

Effective July 1, 2006 a graduate or professional student may be eligible to borrow a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. This loan allows you, not your parents, to borrow up to the cost of attendance less any other financial aid you receive. You must be a US citizen or permanent resident to qualify.

Private Student Loans
Students may have the option to borrow funds through a private lender. These loans are credit based, so applicants may need a cosigner. International students may utilize private lenders if they have a US citizen or permanent resident as a cosigner. Very limited lender options are available for international students without a US citizen/permanent resident co-signer.

FASTChoice is a loan comparison service offered free-of-charge to schools by the Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation. Private loan options are available for both students and parents.

For in-depth financial aid/scholarship information and resources, please review FAQ #6. (Scroll towards the bottom for International resources).