Carnegie Mellon University


In cases when there is a desire or need for longer-term care, specialized care, or a higher level of care, CaPS staff will help students consider resource options in the community that are accessible and affordable. These might include long-term psychotherapy, psychiatric care, psychological evaluations, or specialized care for things like eating disorders and substance abuse problems.

Students who already know they want to connect with services in the community may call CaPS for assistance and to discuss options. You will likely have to use your health insurance to pay for services. Typically, your health insurance will cover a portion of the cost per session. Please note that for those students using the CMU Highmark Health Insurance, therapy sessions with an in-network provider are covered in full with no copayment. Please confirm that your chosen provider is in-network when making your first appointment. Learn more about the Student Health Insurance plan.