Instructional Staff, iLab
In her current role at the Integrated Innovation Institute, Shantha co-delivers courses, contributes to curriculum design, and mentors students in their projects and practicums.
Shantha is a senior software engineering leader and entrepreneur with a proven track record of growing and mentoring technical teams and generating ROI for customers across the globe.Retail Solutions Inc., the company she co-founded, is a leader in retail analytics in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) domain. She ran product development for the company and was responsible for scaling the product development team worldwide and delivering multiple analytic applications. Before Retail Solutions, she had over 20 years of experience focusing on mission-critical systems to support semiconductor and other high-value-added manufacturing. At Consilium, now part of Applied Materials, she managed the development of three generations of manufacturing execution systems. Such software systems are mission-critical, highly scalable, and highly available systems, and companies such as Intel and Infineon depend upon them for their manufacturing.
Outside CMU, Shantha is a mentor of start-ups and students from her alma mater. She provides career advice to new graduates and those making career transitions. She is a member and volunteer of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE). Shantha is also a member of The Carnegie Mellon Women's Association (CMWA) and is active in the Barbara Smith Women's Mentoring Program. Her book Roots and Wings – Inspiring stories of Indian Engineering Women was published in 2018. She co-authored Demystifying AI for The Enterprise, published in 2021. She authored a book on leadership titled Leadership Lessons With The Beatles, forthcoming in May 2022.
Areas of Expertise
- Software enterprises
- Product management
- Global software development
- Technology in Retail/AI
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Operations Management, Tepper Business School (GSIA), Carnegie Mellon University
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication Engineering, College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG), Chennai, India
- Roots and Wings: Inspiring Stories of Indian Women in Engineering
- Demystifying Artificial Intelligence for the Enterprise
- Leadership Lessons with The Beatles (forthcoming in May 2022)
- US 7069101: Computer integrated manufacturing techniques
- US 8464947: System and method for authenticating products
- US 7850081: Apparatus and method for authenticating products
- Distinguished Alumnus 2020, College of Engineering, Guindy, Chennai, India
- Women in IT New York 2019 - Editor's Choice Award
- K-Award, 2019 - Chronicler of CEG