Instructor of Integrated Innovation
Catherine Fang is an entrepreneurial product leader who is passionate about building intelligent software products powering both social networking at large-scale and enterprise platforms. She has 18 years of product management, go-to-market strategy, and software development/architect experience managing products with globally distributed resources (U.S., UK, Hungary, India, China, Japan, Brazil, etc). Catherine specializes in areas including: machine learning-based social network content recommendations, global digital audience targeting strategy for content marketing and advertising, and audience look-alike modeling.
In addition to her role at the Integrated Innovation Institute, Catherine works as a Senior Product Manager for LinkedIn and is the co-founder and CEO of ECAdvisor, an educational platform for software product strategy consulting and personalized recommendations. Previously, she has worked in software and product roles at companies including Yahoo, BlueKai (acquired by Oracle), Sun Microsystem, and Stratify.
Advice for Future Innovators
"Quality is not an act; it is a habit. Focus on your daily habit for success."
Areas of Expertise
Product Management, Go-to-Market Strategy, Software Development/Architecture
Integrated Innovation Courses
- Software Product Definition
- Software Engineering Management
- Mobile App for Internet of Things
- Introduction to Cloud Computing
- Master of Science in Software Management - Carnegie Mellon University
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computer Engineering - Northwestern Polytechnic University
- Bachelor of Science in Information Management - Peking University
Patents & Awards
- U.S. Patent “Multi-Profile Tracking Identification of a Mobile User” in 2014 (US20140372224) - Methodology proposed to and partly adopted by industry standard organization “Interactive Advertising Bureau” (IAB), a standard org to conduct research and provide legal support for online advertising industry globally.
- U.S. Patent "Client Caching Identification Tracking" in 2014 (20140372225)
- U.S. defensive publication "A Mail Categorization System for Displaying Advertisements" in 2011 - View details
- U.S. patent "Advertising Exchange System to Share Online Audiences" in 2011 (US20110119128) - Implemented in Yahoo Global Advertising Exchange Platform serving 400+ US newspapers generating multi-million dollars revenue.
- Machine Learning System used to power 2012 Summer Olympic digital campaigns and Presidential Election digital campaigns.
- Cross-organization award on product innovation: Automated Advertising Inventory Classification, Yahoo, 2010-2011 - The solution was launched to Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! Global News in production with positive impact to revenue.
- Company Tech Talk on Product innovation, Yahoo, 2009 - Audience Sharing from Incubation Idea to Revenue Generating Solution
In a new course, students learned essentials for programming for the Internet of Things, especially the Web of Things, the application, and user-facing layer, while applying their knowledge to solve real-world challenges through final projects.
Faculty and former product manager Catherine Fang presents to students on how to land a PM position at Silicon Valley’s top tech companies.
At MVHacks, Integrated Innovation students decode the path to tech careers for local teens.