Alina A von Davier
Senior Research Fellow
341 Posner Hall
Department of Modern Languages
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Education: Ph.D, University of Magdeburg, Mathematics. MS University of Bucharest, Mathematics
I am a researcher, innovator, and an executive leader with over 20 years of experience in EdTech and in the assessment industry. I work at the forefront of Computational Psychometrics for digital-first learning and assessment systems. My current research interests involve developing novel approaches to test development using techniques incorporating AI, machine learning, data mining, computational psychometrics, Bayesian inference methods, and stochastic processes. I am also interested in developing methodologies for measuring social and emotional skills, such as critical thinking, creative thinking, and collaboration.
Areas of Interest
- Language testing
- Game-based assessment
- Interactional competency
Selected Awards and Honors
- A co-authored book on adaptive and multistage testing, Computerized Adaptive and Multistage Testing with R (2017), and the R package to support the applications received the B. Hanson Award from National Council of Measurement in Education (NCME) in 2022
- A co-edited volume, Computerized Multistage Testing (2014), and an edited volume on test equating, Statistical Models for Test Equating, Scaling, and Linking (2011) were selected as the winners of the Division D Significant Contribution to Educational Measurement and Research Methodology award at American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Awarded the Career Award from the Association of Test Publishers (ATP) (2020)
Selected Community, University, and Professional Service
- International Association of Computerized Adaptive Testing (President)
- Association of Test Publishers (Chair)
- Psychometric Society (Chair of Editorial Council, Board of Trustees, member)
- von Davier, A.A., Mislevy, R.J., & Hao, J. (Eds.) (2021). Computational psychometrics: New methodologies for a new generation of digital learning and assessment. New York, NY: Springer.
- von Davier, A. A. (Ed.) (2011). Statistical models for test equating, scaling and linking. New York, NY: Springer-Verlag.
- von Davier, A.A. (2017). Measurement issues in collaborative learning and assessment. [Special Issue]. Journal of Educational Measurement, 54(1).
- von Davier, A.A., Zhu, M., & Kyllonen, P.C. (2017). Innovative Assessment of Collaboration. Springer International Publishing.
- von Davier, A. A., Holland, P. W., & Thayer, D. T. (2004). The kernel method of test equating. New York, NY: Springer Verlag.