Carnegie Mellon University


Students who are considering transferring into Dietrich College or transferring out of Dietrich College can find more information about those processes.

Transferring In

Students exploring the possibility of transferring to the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences should familiarize themselves with the various majors and minors offered in Dietrich as well as the general education requirements. Students must first have satisfied all the appropriate transfer criteria and met with the academic advisor before applying.

Students may then submit an application to transfer into Dietrich College, which will be reviewed by the Director of Advising in consultation with the relevant academic department. Upperclass students can submit an application for transfer at any time. However, first-year students can submit an application for transfer to Dietrich College only after mid-semester grades have been posted in the second semester of their first year.

Students who are attending a non-CMU college or university and would like to transfer to Carnegie Mellon are considered external transfer applicants. These individuals will have their candidacy evaluated by the university's Office of Admission. CMU admits transfer students into Dietrich College in both the fall and spring terms.

*Please note that a candidate for the bachelor's degree at Carnegie Mellon University must complete a minimum of four semesters of full-time study, or the equivalent of part-time study, comprising at least 180 units of coursework at CMU. If a degree has already been obtained at another institution, courses that count toward that degree may not be used again as transfer credit toward a CMU undergraduate degree.

Carnegie Mellon University employees who want to use their tuition remission benefits toward a CMU undergraduate degree are welcome to apply through the Office Admission to become a degree candidate. For questions concerning Dietrich College majors, contact the Dietrich College Academic Advisory Center.

A visiting/non-degree student attends classes at CMU, but is not admitted into a specific program.  Students interested in taking courses at CMU, but not earning a degree can learn more at the HUB's Visiting/Non-Degree Process website.

Transferring Out

Students considering the possibility of transferring to another college at CMU or to a completely different institution are encouraged to talk to their academic advisor to discuss this option. Students' advisors can help determine if transferring to another college or institution makes the most sense. Advisors can also help explain the internal transfer process and in rare cases help with the transition out of CMU.

Each college at Carnegie Mellon has its own internal transfer process:

Students may also choose to consider the BXA Intercollege Degree Programs.

Students transferring to another institution outside of Carnegie Mellon are encouraged to work with an Admissions Counselor at the institution under consideration to gather information on the transfer application process. Students who need the Common Application's Transfer Registrar report should contact the HUB with their request by emailing

Should a student be accepted and decide to transfer to another institution to complete their bachelor's degree, the withdrawal form must be completed and submitted to the student's primary advisor. Submitting this form confirms that the request to be permanently removed as a degree-seeking undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University.