Setting Up Zoom in Canvas
Instructors can easily set up and configure Zoom class sessions inside of a Canvas course by using the Zoom integration. Students can then visit their Canvas course(s) to find the links to participate in live synchronous class sessions, as well as access past Zoom class session recordings (if the instructor has set up to record the Zoom sessions and has made those available). Here’s how:
Enable Zoom in Your Canvas Course
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have used Zoom in your course previously, you may have to disable and re-enable it in your left course navigation, due to a recent update as of Spring semester 2020.
To enable Zoom from within your Canvas course:
- Click on the course "Settings" navigation item (the last item in the left navigation).
- On the course "Settings" page, there are tabs across the top. Click on the "Navigation" tab.
You should see "Zoom" in the list of items you can enable in your Canvas course navigation.
- Click on the three dots to the right of the Zoom title to expand the menu to "Enable" Zoom. Click on "Enable".
- MAKE SURE TO CLICK "SAVE" at the bottom of the Navigation page.
You should now see Zoom show up in your Canvas course left navigation menu.
Schedule a Zoom Meeting from Within Canvas
1. Click on the "Zoom" menu item (in your Canvas course left navigation) to launch the Zoom interface inside of your Canvas course.
2. From within the Zoom interface, click on "Schedule a New Meeting" and enter the meeting details, date, time, and duration of your class session.
3. Select your Zoom meeting settings including:
- Enable join before host.
- Mute participants upon entry.
- If you will be recording your class meeting, we recommend that you set the recording to be stored "in the cloud".
4. When finished, scroll to the bottom of the Zoom interface and click "Save".
Your meeting should show up in the Canvas course calendar.
Give Students Access to Zoom Class Sessions
Students can click on "Zoom" in the Canvas course left navigation menu to find all of the class sessions you've set up through Zoom.
- They will also be able to find any Zoom session recordings you have saved in Zoom's cloud.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: During peak usage times, you may need to wait as much as 12-24 hours for the Zoom recording to be made available in the cloud.
- See these instructions if you have decided to save the Zoom class session recording to your laptop and would like to see ways you can make that available to students.